1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to know for sure?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FringeGirl, Jul 29, 2014.

1. FringeGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Okay so I'm 21 years old and I'm pretty sure I'm gay. I think I've known for a while but I didn't want to accept it, I was always open to gay people and have a few gay friends but I wasn't brave enough to tell anybody. I've dated quiet a few boys but my realationships always ended up really badly. I felt uncomfortable pretty soon in every realationship and I never slept with any of my bf cause I just couldn't it didn't feel right, I started to ignore them or leave them behind and that was most of the time the reason why my realationships ended so soon and badly. I hurt them even though I didn't mean to and last spring I had to break my closests friend heart, we were really good friends and I knew he wanted more than that but I kept telling him I don't, but then I once again jumped in and started dating him, it held three weeks and ended up really badly, not only broke I his heart I also lost one of my bestfriends because of that so that's when I decided that I have to be true to myself , that betsfriend and I started being friends again and I finally was brave enough tontell him the truth, I told him that I'm not sure if I really like men and that I have been fighting with that for quiet sometime, he totally understood me and has been there for me and I'm really glad and lucky, but I'm still not sure how to deal with this and I know that there are many out there who sruggle w the same thing so how do u do it? I know I'm not ready to come out yet but I need to go in that direction somehow

2. mangotree

What are you struggling against exactly?
    what do you think about when you feel the struggle?
    What is the biggest road block to self acceptance that you're experiencing?

I've found that the more you struggle against something, the more intense it gets.
    Perhaps try to find some activities that relax you and each time you think about the struggle, try to throw a sheet of acceptance over it.

Loving and accepting yourself just the way you are involves a different path for everyone. Different techniques, theories and epiphanies work for different people. This why there's so many different self-help / spiritual books out there.

I wish I could give you more to work with.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry your relationships have ended like that, but it's good that he came around.

I don't really think there's a 100% sure way to know. I suppose you can let yourself daydream about the ladies - do you feel happier than you do when you daydream about men? Would you prefer to spend your life with a woman? Things like that.

In any case, I hope everything works out for you. I understand the confusion and frustration. I think we all do.

4. FringeGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    thank you for ur help and kinds words
    I am struggeling to see myself walking down the streets hand in hand w a woman not because I don't want to cause I really do but because I care too much what other people think, the weird look that peoe might give u, I know I shouldn't care about things like that but I can't help it, I also do think about what my family would say, are they gonna look at me the same way? are they gonna accept me and keep loving me the way I am?
    I do have activities to relax and clear my head I'm a very athletic person so I go for a run or a bike tour that really helps

and yes I do think more about women than men and Yes I think I want to spend my life w a woman

5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's perfectly understandable. I feel the same way.

But, if you think about it, we (LGBT+ people) are getting more rights as time passes. Soon, in the future, you won't have to feel that way because no one will care - in the best way possible.

It's dangerous, yeah, but confidence is the key. If you are confident, people are less likely to spout bullshit at you. You can also visit pride parades to mingle with other LGBT+ people, if you don't already. If you're concerned about being perceived as gay, take solace in the fact that there are many straight allies who attend pride parades, and if you're not, go wild.

Besides, I hold my mom's and my sister's hands all the time. People don't harass me for that.

Trust me. People don't like looking at alternatives. They see you holding hands with another woman? Oh, is she a really close friend? Is she a sister? Maybe a cousin?

You kiss another woman? Oh, is that apart of your culture? It's platonic, isn't it?

:dry:

But, you shouldn't be ashamed. I know that's easier said than done, but you really shouldn't. Take your time. (*hug*)

6. FringeGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    yes you are right about that and I'm really glad too but it can't be soon enough
    No I'm not wjat's that exactly u r talking about? another forum?
    well I guess that's my problem I'm
    not very confident...but hey thanks I never saw it that way but it does make sense and If I think about it more it's actually no ones business why I hold that woman's hand or why I kiss her right?
    yeah I defently need some more time

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, couldn't really understand what you meant by another forum?

And, yes, you're right. It's definitely no one's business who you fancy.

Confidence, unfortunately, is something a lot of us struggle with. it's a tough thing to wrestle, but definitely possible to conquer!

Take what you makes you feel insecure and not confident, whether it's all of you or only one part of you, and ask yourself why, exactly, does it make you feel that way?

You're ugly?

How come?
    Who says?
    How do they know?
    Isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder?
    If you think you're ugly, does it really matter if everyone else thinks you're beautiful?

You're stupid?

How come?
    Who says?
    How do they know?
    Isn't intelligence measured in more ways than just stupid letter grades on a report card?
    And who's to say no one will find what you do is inspiring, smart, and clever?

And so on.

It may not work for you, but it's worth a try.

8. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

being lesbian is neat so if u think u might be dont be scared, it is neat

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  10. Tardis221B

What's helped me a lot with accepting myself is simply scrolling through lesbian tumblr pages, watching the gay women channel on youtube, watching TV shows on that feature lesbian couples, and journaling out my feelings.

I'm still struggling with accepting my feelings as well, but things will get better. It just takes time. (*hug*)

11. FringeGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    thank you guys for ur help and good advice :slight_smile: I already feel better now

12. FringeGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    oh and because of the forum I missunderstood you sorry lol I think u were talking about gay parades and stuff right? well we don't have many of those over here actually just one and I couldn't go, I was thinking about it but it sucks if u go by yourself

13. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i went to pride for the first time this year alone and it was fantastic. i went to absorb the atmosphere and the people. the only advise i can give you is "be you" im still trying to learn that myself.

good luck.

14. FringeGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    okay hehe I bet it was fun maybe I'll go next time :wink: thank you very much
    good luck to u too

15. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it was a blast, even if i had to drive an hour to get there. i was just another person in the crowd.

16. TheAwakening

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't fret, becoming comfortable with your sexuality and freely expressing it can seem scary. I currently face the same issue you're discussing, I feel uncomfortable about what the general public may feel of me and a guy if we're in public together. I'm totally proud and accepting of my sexuality I just need to gravitate away from what the public may think of me.

What I've found to help the most is more exposure to the LGBTQ+ community. I currently have a few LGBTQ+ allies as friends and even a lesbian friend, which has helped me tremendously. In addition to that, I think attending a pride parade will also help me and you with our struggles. I also think the religious doctrine/culture my parents forced me to accept has had an effect on me as well as what I perceive as normal. I'm not sure if this applies to you, but I've found relief in rejecting the homophobia my parents have placed into my life. It's a slow process, but I feel we will reach a point where we're totally comfortable with ourselves in a social setting.

I also recommend watching some LGBTQ+ flicks on YouTube. YouTube has a couple that feature a lesbian couple. Finally I recommend you to continue to comment here or maybe even join your university's LGBT or Gay Straight Alliance club if you're currently attending college. If you're not in college there's also PFLAG and The Trevor Project both of which have volunteer options.

#16 TheAwakening, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  17. FringeGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels that way but on the other hand I'm also sorry that u have to struggle w this as well
    I have seen gay movies or videos before but we don't have many gay parades were I come from and we don't have college so I can't do that I'm
    not in college I'm working, I do have gay friends too one is even working w me together, he came out to me two year ago and I was the first person to know and I have been thinking about telling him but idk I never found the right time I guess
    I also have been thinking on going to a gay bar in the city close by where I live but idk I feel uncomfortable going there by myself, idk what to accept there

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2014 at 01:19 PM ----------

hehe okay well I'm glad the drive was worth it , I will sure think about it thanks

18. TheAwakening

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's good to know that you have gay friends :slight_smile:. You should most definitely tell him that you're Lesbian! Just do so when you're ready, but also remember coming out doesn't have to be perfect, ya just do it. Then once you're out maybe you and him can head to the gay bar you were talking about? :slight_smile:

He'll probably be thrilled to know you're lesbian and your other gay friends haha.

19. FringeGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    yeah i thought the same but he's not the type for going to gay bars, idk he is out to most of his friends and to all his family but he doesn't want to go to a gay bar or so cause a friend and me asked i he wants to go we would go with him but he said ihh no that's nothing for me lol So idk my bestfriend knows that I'm gay and he's pretty cool about it but I can't take him w me to a gay bar right? that would be weird for him I guess

20. TurtleCat

It can be hard to know for sure but one thing that's helped is to tell myself to stop worrying so much. Just be me and stop worrying about fitting a label. I know I like women and would have a relationship with one and that's all that matters.

I think a lot of my doubt and insecurity about my sexuality stems from the fact that I was harassed about it when I was younger and also the fact that I can be an anxious and insecure person in general. So it's been a lot of work overcoming all that but I'm getting there. :slight_smile: