1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

too rash?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by idream, Jul 30, 2014.

1. idream

idream Guest

I want to come out asap to my mother and my brother. I'm considering beginning with my brother, which I'm scared to death to do, but what I'm really afraid of is my mom. I'm so desperate to come out, for everyone to know, especially since I joined this site, but I'm afraid I'm being too rash. Am I doing this selfishly, and if I am, does it matter? Is there a right time?

2. TheAwakening

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't recommend coming out to your family if their hostile to the LGBTQ+ community. I just wouldn't recommend something if it'll endanger your life or well-being. If you feel your parents won't react harshly then by all means do it. You can come out to each family member separately if you wanted, just whatever feels most comfortable to you.

Also, don't think of this as something negative, I personally see that you love yourself and you don't want to hide your sexuality from the world which is what coming out is about. I just don't recommend it if it'll place you into a dangerous environment. If you feel it will endanger your well-being you can come out when you move out of your parents home. You can test the waters so to speak by discussing LGBTQ+ issues and news around your family and listen for their response.

Also there is no specific time you have to come out, you can come out whenever you're comfortable :slight_smile:. I don't think you're being rash as I said, I just think you love yourself a lot and you're tired of hiding, you sound a lot like me. My point is just be careful.

Good luck! (*hug*)

3. idream

idream Guest