1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your feelings on my situation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JT, Sep 4, 2008.

1. JT

JT

A little background for you, as a reader. I'm 17 and still closeted, and EXTREMELY frustrated... That's all you really need to know.

So recently, I was talking to a very close friend of mine. She had introduced me to some friends that lived in her area a while back... One of these guys is very cute, but, he's "straight". Now she tells me a secret that he's gay. I understand that's a sleazy thing for someone to do to someone else, but she knows I'm cool with the whole gay thing. Not knowing that I, myself, am gay.

She invited me to a party that was going down later that night. I was excited to see - we'll call him Mike - Mike. Mike looked better than ever... I couldn't tell whether or not this was just me seeing him in a new light, or if he had changed since the last time I'd seen him. So we're hanging out, a couple of the kids, including mike decide to go get some food. I stay with some of my other friends, we all go and satisfy our nicotine craving. We're smoking cigarettes, walking the park, waiting for everyone to get back. I'm informed that one of the people with Mike is gay, but he's not completely out either.

One of the people in our group starts to say something, and realizes I'm there, and forgot that, to the best of her knowledge, I didn't know about Mike and his orientation. She quickly stopped talking. I knew exactly what the conversation was about, but played it cool. Playing dumb.. You know.

In any case, I start asking questions, like "hey, is Mike's friend gay"? They had no problem outing him to me, but that wasn't necessary, I knew he was from probably the second I saw him. Then I casually ask them "is Mike gay"... they couldn't say "no" fast enough.

As my cigarette is dwindling, I finally have the courage to tell them that I know... It's a bad thing to do, but they were completely fine with me knowing.

So my main problem here is that I have no one in my area to relate to. I don't trust anyone enough to come out to. All of the people that I know say far too many condescending things about gays to find acceptance in them.

Although, Mike, has given me some hope. I've known Mike for several years. I've never known him to be a gossip, nor has he ever told me any secrets. I feel like I can trust him. I feel like once he comes out to me, I can come out to him... It'd be kinda like our own little secret.

This subject is weighing so heavily on my mind because, let's face it, I need a gay friend that's going through the same thing I am. My feelings on this have kept me up for nights. It's ridiculous, I know...

Does this sound like a good or bad idea?

PS. Previous readers have said that I should come out to close friends. That might be because I didn't make it clear that we are close. It's just that we're re-connecting. We used to be closer. I know that I will give it some time before I make up my mind. But I will without a doubt wait until he's comfortable enough to come out to me. I will never bring up the subject him; his orientation that is. Forcing someone into coming out is just not in my nature, no matter how bad I want to discuss this with him.

I'm sorry for the wall of text

2. Noah

I say tell him. It sounds like you have the rare opportunity to have someone to go through it with. You don't have to date if u don't want to!

3. gutsrie

I would tell him too. Don't mention that you already know but instead, be the first one to tell him that you are gay and he might come out to you as well!

4. mimame

Hey there, first of all i want to tell you that i know how you feel. I felt that i had to share it to someone as well. I basicly told all my friends about it, and most of them supported me 100% however people do talk. I found out my friends told a lot people about it, and soon rumors were out even faster then i wanted. At this point i dont really care what people think of me, because im happy the way i live now. I would advice you to speak to mike about it, as he been through the same situation. He likely be very cool about it, however if you dont want everyone else to know. Do not tell your girlfriend, who told you about mike, you see where that is going.

But confront mike about it, And tell him you want him to keep it between the two of you guys, im sure he be cool about it espicially if you are old friends. If you are fustrated you must do this, because eventually you will get very depressive, or upset at least thats what happened to me. This guy mike is your chance, to have someone to talk with and someone who undestand you 100% even more then your regular friends. So just do it, dont worrie too much.

when it comes to your friends most of them probably be all cool about it, and if not consider this! are they then really your friends? are they worth knowing? i mean if someone comes to me and ask for help support because they have a hard time dealing with something i help them as a good friend would. Rejecting that person would just be mean, a good person would not do that. so if you experience that, fuck them you better off without them.

Most importen your happiness is what most importen, if you are fustrated confront mike. Do something about it, its not getting better over time believe me.

Good luck with it cheers

Mike

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, welcome to EC. :wave: Fancy running into you here. :slight_smile:

It looks like you've got a potential gay friend in Mike, but the problem I see is your comment that "Once he comes out to you, you'll come out to him". But if he's closeted, and very few people know, he's not GOING to come out to you. And it's rather presumptuous to simply say to him, "Hey, I hear you're gay." So I'd say the right way to go about this is for YOU to come out to HIM first. This might be difficult to do if you're not really all that close, but you might go ahead and press that case a bit. See if you can hang out with him more, get into more conversations with him, get to know him better. Once you do, you can let him know - "I'm gay - you're cool with that, right?" That will be his cue to come out to you. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. sexyalex

nahh no problem at all. ahh, what's the name..muscl for short.
    I agree u wait and let him come out to you then u to him. Sometimes u will feel like, u need someone to talk to like neeed it badly. But then u rat it out and then it spreads faster than when they found out where BinLaden is. SO, be smart about it and if u do need someone to talk to, try ur mom...but use small words and use opposites so she won't suspect it's you. but be patient, a friend in the uprising who is gay and closeted, as long as ur a good friend, he will naturally just let it out. :slight_smile:

7. JT

JT

Thanks for all your input, guys. I've decided that next time we hang out i'll casually ask to talk to him alone. It more than likely won't be awkward considering our mutual friends that we spend most of our time with are aware of his orientation, so I'm sure they'll know what's going on when I ask to talk to him. I'll be honest with him and bring up the whole "So, I hear you're gay." kind of way, but more subtle.

I figure I'll make him comfortable, tell him that he doesn't have to tell me if he doesn't want to, and i'm not looking for a reply, just to let him know that I'm okay with it. Or does that sound like pressuring?

I guess if things go awry, I'll come out to him, and make him feel more comfortable and able to confide in me.

#7 JT, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  8. sexyalex

sounds suspicious like u know and u wnan get it out of him. lol
    maybe u can start by whenever u hang with him u can tell him something about u he dosn't know already and when he is down or has problems u be ther 4 him. Usually a confession comes out somewhere within all that talking of inner-emotional feelings, pain and sufferings. :shrugs:

when i am mentoring during peercounceling it always work :lol:

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's clear that the guy is gay. And thus is cool with other guys being gay. And therefore there doesn't need to be much reason to hold back your hand longer than necessary. If you're going to go that route, it might be best to do it all at once. "I was really happy when Sara told me you were gay. I'm gay, too, and I haven't met anyone else my age who is."

Lex

10. JT

JT

That's another route I was seriously considering... Only problem is name-dropping is definately a no-no. It gets kind of wierd when I play this in my head.... "So, I hear your gay" (commence chat about how it's okay and I accept him) but, what if it stops at that statement, and he asks who? Well, dang, he goes to a completely different school in a different district. I only know friends of his, and a few other people from that school. Any name that I throw out will be drama city, depending on how it goes down.

I figure the way it's looking, I'm going to have to take the dive and come out first. huh?

You guys have some really great advice and are helping me figure all this out. Hopefully I won't be up 'til 2 in the morning tonight, running scenarios through my head...

Should coming out be THIS difficult. It could have something to do with trust issues. I don't trust a lot of people since a lot of people that I considered extremely close to me have turned their backs on me before.

11. sexyalex

your scary.....
    very scary....

but that works too! i mean come to think about it...except it does seem a bit scary. I would be apauled if someone came to be and did that.:eek:

12. JT

JT

Lex's approach seemed quite reasonable to me. I think he did a good job analyzing my problem, and giving me a logical, plausable solution(s).

Also an update. I was just recently talking to the girl that had originally told me about "Mike". In our conversation, I brought up how I felt it was weird that I knew about Mike, but he didn't know I knew... Yes, brains... numb. But she said she'd talk to him about it,bringing up to him that it's okay if he tells me. But better yet!!! Mike thinks I already had an idea about it.. According to her. She found this out after a party, when Mike and I played babysitter for his gay friend with his head in a toilet bowl for 2 hrs.

I'm feeling the weight lift off me as I type this. :slight_smile:

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say things are looking up. :slight_smile: But do your best to get around "playing telephone" using your girl-friend as soon as possible. If you're all on myspace, why not add each other? You don't have instantly jump to the "Hi, I'm gay!" but at least then you'll have a means of contacting him without using her, when you want to get to that point.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

Lex

14. JT

JT

Haha, I have his cell number. We text, not as much as i'd like, but we text.

It's not that I enjoy playing middle (wo)man games, nor am I trying to be master manipulator, but I'm just trying to have her help him feel more comfortable with coming out to me... If that makes sense :eusa_doh:

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, no, I understand. But like I said, you coming out to him will make things a thousand times easier for him. And a lot better for both of you, I think. :slight_smile:

Lex

16. JT

JT

Yes. I hope that seeing him this weekend will allow me to come out to him, and eventually more people :slight_smile:. Thanks a lot, Lex (!)

17. mimame

Hey again, i advice you to ask him about it. and tell him that you are confused as well and maybe ask him if he can help you out. etc talking openly about it will bring you closer, he might even be able to give tips how to handle things.

the whole "hey you i hear you are gay" is a bit too much my opinion, just tell him you heard he had some mix feelings about your identity and you feel the same way, and get a conversation going.

If you are lucky you get your first kiss :slight_smile:

18. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Hey! I've just read your story and good luck with coming out to him this weekend! It could be a really positive thing for you both. So be brave and I'm sure you won't regret it!! :grin: (props to lex for great advice through this whole thread)

19. JT

JT

Ugh, don't tempt me with a good time! I'm not sure if I want to divulge the fact that I'm attracted to him(yet)... I'm desperately afraid of rejection. ARGH

It looks like we'll have an opportunity to spend some time together on Saturday. A lot is still going through my head.

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't bother with the "I kinda like you" part yet. Stick with the "I hear you're gay, I'm gay too" part. :slight_smile:

Lex