1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic / homohaters family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fallenlunatic, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Fallenlunatic

Japan (a foreigner unfortunately. A lot harder)
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok so... I feel like I just can't take this anymore, I feel like I just want to talk about this to someone or "come out"

But I'm scared because my mom and grandma... I always hear them say bad things and mock lesbian or tomboy... They say they are disgusting and hates the (celebrity gays) And they're so sexist

But I myself is still confused about my real sexuality. But I'm currently painfully in love with a girl who I know will never feel the same way I feel about her.

It's making me more depressed (aside from the fact of feeling the pressure from being a foreign student in Japan)

What should I do? I just really need someone to talk to. But I'm shy too, so I don't have that much friends.

2. RobinHood

RobinHood Guest

I'm so sorry you feel this way. :/ I understand you and care for you. They wouldn't say those things if they knew how it hurts you. Just give it some time, you'll learn how to deal with those problems. If you have a question, need help with anything, need an advice or just want to chat, feel free to post on my wall. :slight_smile:

3. TheAwakening

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm very familiar with experiencing homophobia within family all too well. Both my immediate and extended family share very harsh views towards the LGBTQ+ community. Whenever the LGBTQ+ community is brought up nothing but derogatory language is said. My parents think it's "wrong" and defies the doctrine of God. Even when their religion is set aside they still think of us as "disgusting". When I came out to my mother she denied it and didn't talk to me for a few days but then later on she hugged me and said she loved me and acted as if I never came out... she still discusses how I'll get married and have children and such. They think it's a "choice" and the more I try to educate them on it the more they hate the community. So I feel your pain, I know it first hand. You feel trapped in an environment you can't escape. Well, on the bright side you're in school and eventually you can move out.

What helps me the most is posting on LGBTQ+ forums such as this one and communicating with other LGBTQ+ people. In addition to that I have several friends who are either LGBTQ+ or strong allies of it... they kept me strong through this madness. You may not have any LGBTQ+ friends but the community is here for each other. Oh, look up The Trevor Project. I'm not sure if you're familiar with them but they're a popular 24/7 hotline in the U.S. for depressed of suicidal LGBTQ+ youth.

You can make it through this, and once you leave that environment life will be a lot better than before. try and listen to some music as well... Sara Bareilles, Kelly Clarkson and Amanda Palmer are helping me a lot.

Be safe. (*hug*)

4. Fallenlunatic

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks. And yeah about music. When I started watching glee online it made me feel much better :grin: well not really great but it helped me with self-acceptance.

And I do really like Kelly Clarkson's "Dark Side"

And thank you Robin hood. I wish I could meet people like you guys here in my place, unfortunately I'm like on the other side of the planet �� but I'm starting to like to community. I just wish I know a community like this in our place.

Well I can't even talk to anyone comfortably here because of language barrier lol

5. RobinHood

RobinHood Guest

Do not hesitate to talk here, to me or any other member. We're all here from different places, I'm from a small country in Europe and I myself feel also alone in a homophobic environment. We're all very supporting here! :slight_smile:

6. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Before coming out make sure that you're sure about your sexuality. Are you bisexual, or gay? Make sure you don't make the mistake of saying something you might regret later.

Also are you sure that if you come out to your mom she won't disown you or something like that? If she is homophobic, the worst thing that can happen is that she kicks you out of the house. Make sure that if she is going to take it harshly, at least your well being won't be threaten because of it.

7. Fallenlunatic

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    At first I really feel like a lesbian but right now I realized I may be bi.

And I dont think she would kick me out. Actually she doesn't want me get away from her lol