1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of Coming Out to my Brother (And His Girlfriend)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by prussianblue100, Jul 31, 2014.

1. prussianblue100

Alright, so I've already outed myself to my older sister. It's been great so far. She's treated me the same as always because she's very open-minded and it's just amazing for her to know. I've only had two problems with it:

1) She's asked something along the lines of this before, "Hey, wait. If you're gay, then how come you fangirled over America (Hetalia version) that one time?" I used to have a thing over certain anime boys (check out my thread: Me and Anime Boys for more on this), though that feeling is starting to disappear. I'm thinking that the boys I thought were hot or cute are okay now. In fact, now I have a crush on an anime girl.

2) She's also asked before, "Why not just tell them?" I shook my head vigorously. At the time, the thought of telling anyone else was scary and impossible. But now, I'm thinking of telling two people.

I'm thinking of telling one of my older brothers named Ryan. He's really funny, though he does stupid things sometimes. The reason I'm thinking of telling him is because of how he talks with either just me alone or me and my sister. He's always like, "Your boyfriend will love that," or something. I hate it to no end. Any day now, I'll just crack and use this line against him: "You might as well stop talking about my future boyfriend, because I'm a lesbian and I'm never going to get one. :dry:"

It's really exhausting to hide this part of me around him. I also feel like every time he and his girlfriend talk about gays, my sister will just blurt out, "Elena is gay, you know." She promised she wouldn't tell, but I guess I'm just paranoid.

Oh yeah. And I might as well come out to his girlfriend Kaylee too because he is almost always with her. I'm pretty sure they did it even though they aren't married yet. Plus, she does the "Your boyfriend..." stuff too and I just don't want it.

I'd much rather have, "Your boyfriend/girlfriend..." but I'm not sure I'm ready to come out to them. They don't seem homophobic, but I'm just scared of what they'll think (mainly Ryan, but Kaylee too).

What do you guys think? Should I come out to them? If yes, how and when? Thanks in advance for your advice. :help:

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You mentioned they talk about gay people? What do they say about that?

You can try expressing your support of LGBT+ rights in front of them to get them used to the idea. Just rant about how stupid people are when they say gay people can't marry or something. They might ask you why you're so vehement on the subject, and then you can just drop the "I'm gay, bruh."

3. prussianblue100

I don't know. Ryan seems pretty neutral about the subject. I'm not so sure about Kaylee, because she has mentioned before, "If a straight person starts a restaurant and says that gay people can't eat there, that's fine." Is she preaching about how gays shouldn't be served? That really worries me. Then again, she probably didn't think that her words could be affecting someone within ear-shot.

Your way of suggesting I come out is pretty funny, but I'm not sure that I could be so blunt as to do that. I guess I can see what happens.

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She might be one of those people who joke about gay people a lot, but in actuality, don't really care. But, approach with caution anyway, as you probably already know.

In any case, good luck. I hope all goes well, if and/or when you come out. (*hug*)