1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helpp!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JurrBurr, Sep 4, 2008.

1. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

So,

I have a clean slate. I am new to this school no one has really asked me any questions. But I have known I've been gay ever since middle school. I am a sophomore in high school now! I am sure my mom suspects I am... But like, I feel as if I have lied to my mother all my life. I hear her all the time saying, I can't wait til he gives me grand kids! But... My family disowned my cousin for coming out of the closet. I guess I am just scared and have no idea if I should come out?!

What do you think?

2. Derek the Wolf

If your family disowned your cousin, I wouldn't rush into telling her. Who was it that disowned your cousin? The family as a whole, or one individual? You may be able to come out in a limited fashion, you know, only telling people that you're close to and you know will react well. Just don't rush into it before you're ready, it may not be the right time for you yet.

3. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

The whole family did. It's stupid, Like I am the only one who talks to him. But I am not so close to him that I could tell him! My family is all about their image in society and how it has to be perfect!

4. Derek the Wolf

If the family as a whole agreed to disown him, then I wouldn't tell any of them. At 16, you can't risk being kicked out of the house for something like this. If your parents are going to pay for college, then I wouldn't tell them until after you've finished 4 years. If they aren't, then I'd tell them after you've finished high school and you're set up with a decent job. Basically, you don't want to tell them when you're still dependent on them if it's a big risk. Good luck either way.

5. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

Too true.

I have been pretty much independent all my life though. I mean, My college will be paid for by myself. lol

I've thought about it long and hard, But I needed some advice!

6. Derek the Wolf

Well, since you aren't worried about college money, then I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe wait until you're 18, or until you've left the house by your own free will, and then tell them. Until then, do you have any close friends you can tell, from your old school? It always helps to tell a couple people, rather than tell noone.

7. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't consider telling your family until you were independent so that way if something were to happen and you weren't accepted, you'd be finacially stable. That may not be what you wanted to hear but in that situation this is my best advice. :slight_smile:

8. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

Talking to my friends at my old school? Nah don't think so. They only contact me when they need advice or something else.

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Its too bad your family turned away from your cousin. It may take you coming out for them to see the error of their ways.

10. Urman

Urman Guest

Take your time till you are absolute ready to comeout i know how you feel i felt the same way dont worry about that for now try to build up your confidence and don't rush it

11. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

beckyg, that is what I am hoping for. But I doubt it.

Gerry, Thanks for your advice!

Urman, Did you push it? I mean you were in the same shoes as me =] lol

12. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

I need more suggestions! Can anyone else help me?

13. Brija

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would hold off on telling your parents until your positive they wont react badly or they cant do anything negative to you. Even if they don't kick you out of the house there are other things they can do like take away phone and computer privileges. I'd say wait until your independent of them. I know thats probably not what you want to hear... If you feel anything like I Have and still do your probably bursting at the seams to tell them. I came out to my 4 closest friends then i came out at school. my senior year i was the only out gay male in the school. there were at least a dozen out females though. maybe you should try to find the gays in your new school, not necessarily to come out to them but having gay friends could be comforting at least.

14. Miles D

Yeah, hold off telling the 'rents, but maybe come out to a few close friends? But really make sure they're not homophobic at all... if you have friends like that :/

15. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

Ugh, I have like a couple homophobic friends! But, They've never asked? I think they suspect, but haven't confronted me about it. Not like I am going to be like, Oh hey.. I am gay! lol..... Anyways Brija, I have looked! I think I've found some... I just need to hang out with them more often. Most of my friends are girls, because I find it easier to get along with them!

16. Brija

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah, most of my friends are girls too. Its good you've found some gay kids at school. hopefully you can become friends. I have a couple of homophobic friends too. One of my closest friends is actually a homophobic right-wing radical republican. We just avoid talking about politics and gay rights unless we have a mediator to keep us in line. debate can be brutal.

17. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

Ahh interesting, You've all been really helpful!

Brija, Very interesting. Does your friend know your gay? Just curious, because I think if I were to come out to my homophobic friends.. They'd just like try to avoid me. But that means they weren't true friends I guess.

What do you think?

18. Brija

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He does know I'm gay. If your friends are true they'll get past the fact your gay and like you for who you are. they probably wont lose the homophobia though. I'd try to gage how homophobic they are and then if you wanted to come out to one of them pick the one thats least homophobic or most likely to accept you. but also be wary of the fact that they may not keep your coming out a secret from other friends.

19. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

See that's what I am mainly afraid about to tell them.

I just have that feeling that they wouldn't keep it a secret!! =[

20. Brija

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah, you definitely need to pick people you can trust. I was lucky all of my friends kept it a secret till I was ready to come out to everyone at school. now, even my close friends parents know I'm gay.