1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to my parents doesn't seem necessary??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pancakesexual, Aug 2, 2014.

1. pancakesexual

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    so i'm fifteen and i'm queer and i don't feel like it's necessary to tell my parents and family. i'm out to almost all of my friends. i know my family would be accepting but my sexuality really isn't a big deal in my life at this point. i feel like it would cause unnecessary drama for no reason. i don't want them to view me any differently bc of my sexuality. and it also just drives me crazy how they assume everyone including me is straight. like i feel i shouldn't have to come out they shouldn't assume ya know?:dry:

2. MrPotato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, as someone who just came out to my parents... I feel qualified to comment on your situation.

Like yourself, most of my friends know about my sexuality. It's great... I can confide in my friends, I can tell them which guy I think is cute... I can make sexual jokes without there being any awkwardness... it's great :grin:

BUT... having your family know is really really incredible. It gives you power. So if you were to come home with a same sex partner to introduce to your family... there won't be any surprises.

coming out to your parents SHOULD BE a step in every gay/lesbian/trans/bisexual/etc person's life... but unfortunately, not everyone's family is accepting. I'm lucky that my close family has been incredibly supportive, but I know that my extended family is going to have bad reactions to it (but that's okay because well... they dont feed me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

I once thought that it would be best if I dated a guy without my parents knowing... but now I KNOW that they're going to support me if I were to present my partner to them.

It's just very liberating... and it truly brings the family closer together (assuming your family is accepting and loving).

I hope I gave a different perspective on the subject :slight_smile:

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At some point you'll definitely want to come out to them, especially if you start dating a girl because hiding a partner from your parents is stressful, and it's a hassle. Still, as long as not being out to them isn't causing you stress, you don't have to come out unless you feel like it. As MrPotato said, coming out to your family can be awesome and freeing and all those great things. But it's true, it's not necessary at this point.

So while someday it will probably be necessary for you to come out to them (though you don't have to do it officially. You can always go with the "surprise! this is my girlfriend" method :slight_smile:), you don't have to do it now unless you feel it's something you want to do.