1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by indigoHamsters, Aug 2, 2014.

1. indigoHamsters

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey guys. I'm an ftm who recently came out and one of the biggest questions my parents have asked me is whether or not i should come out at school. I go to a public high school so I'm not too worried, its just some teachers and gym class that we are worried about. I would really like to be able to be out at school but we aren't sure how to do it or what to expect and again gym class is a big concern of my mother's. So yeah, what do we do, expect and advice for the gym situation.
    Thank you and have a nice day.

2. mangotree

Unfortunately I don't have any advice apart from you and your parents going and talking to the School principal.
    I just did a Youtube search for "being trans in school" and lots of videos came up, so maybe that's somewhere to start.
    You might also like to ask your questions in the Gender Identity and Expression section of the forums.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would suggest talking to a guidance counselor who can help you know what to expect and can help you inform your teachers and make arrangements for gym class.

I don't know how your gym class is organized, but the trans guys in my gym class would get changed in the nurse's office (our school doesn't really let trans people use the right locker rooms or bathrooms, and our only gender neutral bathroom is in the nurse's office), and our classes weren't split by gender in general or in any activities, so it wasn't a problem beyond that. If you can tell me a bit about your gym class, I might be able to give some advice.