1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

feelings after coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by twister, Sep 5, 2008.

1. twister

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i'm pretty new around here, awhile back i found this site when i was discovering that i am a lesbian at 45 years of age after have been hetero for all this time. i received some great support then. since then (not quite a year ago) i've accepted myself, asked for a divorce and come out to my 2 grown daughters and several friends. i'm in a relationship and happier than i've been for a long time.

my question is this- each time i've come out to someone regardless of that persons reaction (and most have been accepting) i feel a sense of shame and even some doubt. the thoughts in my head- 'are you really sure you're gay', 'are you sure you're not just going through some mid-life crisis?'- eventually those thoughts go away but do resurface after each new coming out. i'm guessing this is common- can someone validate that for me? i still want to come out to some others but, really hate the self doubt that comes afterward.

2. -Michael-

I suppose its still part of the denial stage.

Sometimes i wonder what im im bi (because me being straight is amlomst impossible)
    then i think of what could happen.

Nothing will change in life.
    Another coming out may be needed or you could just get on with life and go with the flow.

Either way i wouldnt worry.
    Just go with what you feel and don't worry.

3. riddlerno1

I think those doubts after coming out happen to anyone regardless of age. When people say about a 'mid life crisis' it might there way of trying to understand I thinks its just working through and being aware of who you are thats most important.

4. Jim1454

Everyone is different. I didn't have those thoughts, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Welcome back though!

5. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I have often had those doubty thoughts after coming out. I think it triggers a feeling in me like "OMG if I have to backtrack later I'll look so ridiculous".

I don't think it really has any meaning though, except to highlight ongoing insecurity with your sexuality. As you become more self-accepting and you feel more at home with your feelings, your self-expression and your public image, these doubt-y feelings should become less common/strong. That's been the case for me :slight_smile:

As for the shame, that's the classic response to the heterosexual norm in society. It takes a lot of self-belief to stop feeling the shame that can be placed on you with the words "I am gay/lesbian". But I believe it truly is possible to overcome these feelings. You just have to keep working at it and being strong in the meantime.

Congratulations on coming out! Better late(r) than never!

#5 Psychedelic Bookmarks, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  6. RisingFlames

RisingFlames Guest

Hmm, thanks you for that post. I think the more I think about it, the more it seems that fear is still a very strong tool of society.

7. Mickey

Remember: coming out is a ongoing process. You come out all your life. There are always going to be people who don't know you're gay,whether it's people you've known for years or people you have just met. I think the more you tell people,the easier it will get. Eventually,you'll get more comfortable with telling people. It is scary,at first,but it does get easier. When you're more accepting of yourself and more comfortable in your own skin,it'll be easier to tell others.

8. Gumtree

Fear, regret and denial; Not much we can do about it but it doesn't matter how gay you are, there will always be SOME of these emotions every time the subject of your sexuality arises. It's human nature to question anything and everything that doesn't seem 'normal' or which seems 'out of place'.

I think it's a natural part of coming out, regardless of age. Some experience more then other's I guess.

Personally, I began coming out when I was 13 and 3 years later, every time the subject comes up I always have some hesitation. If they don't accept it then you will feel you have let them down, potential you might lose a friend, every homophobic person you encounter wears you down just a smidge more.

9. twister

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hey i appreciate all the responses! what i'm feeling is part of the process and part of it is a clue that i'm still wrestling with acceptance too. acceptance, being comfortable in my own skin- gonna keep working on that. i want to be proud of who i am (wanted that for myself all along)