1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Worrying Too Much?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Edog, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Edog

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It has been a little over a month since I've come to self-identify as being bisexual. Ever since I researched sexualities, bisexuality has just resonated with me; and I know that is what I am.

The thing is, I've been worrying over whether to come out or not. To be honest, I see a lot of negative things happening if I am open about my sexuality. I'm not in a great place to not be heterosexual, and a few of my friends and close family members are homophobic to varying degrees. Plus I've seen another person come out as bisexual in my area, and most people refused to believe that was a thing.

But I also want to be open, and proud of who I am. I know my sexuality isn't what defines me as a person, but not being open about makes me feel like I'm denying my close friends and family a part of who I am. My only friend who I know will accept me, he's gay and accepting of pretty much everything, lives in another state and I only see him a few times a year.

Sometimes I feel like just blurting it out, and other times I never want to say anything out of fear of rejection. Sorry for my complaining, but I would love some advice. Am I worrying too much, and how can I stop worrying so much? Should I make a plan, or just wait and hope an opportunity will come along to come out?

2. Candace

Have there been any instances where your friends have questioned your sexuality? Asked about whether or not you have a girlfriend, instances where you felt that coming out was the best thing to do?

First, you have to think about whom you can trust. Who, in this world, could you tell anything, and they'd still love you and accept you at the end of the day? Whoever that person is, tell them first. They can help you handle the other people (granted that there is an actual need to come out to them in the first place), since this person is now on your side and will champion for you to have happiness like they do. :slight_smile:

You're not worrying. I think everyone goes through this process. I sure as heck did when I was questioning my sexuality, eons ago. Good luck and please update us on what happens next. :slight_smile:

3. Edog

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Actually, a few friends of mine have asked me about my sexuality half-jokingly. A few family members have asked if I have a girlfriend, and joked that I was gay when I said no. The "jokes" were usually in bad taste, and didn't really help me want to come out. Although I did imagine just blurting it out, and seeing their expressions.

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:. I'm still pretty nervous, but I think I'm getting to the point of telling a friend of mine. He's very open minded, and I know he would still be a great friend. I don't think I'm completely ready to tell him now, but I'm certainly getting there:slight_smile:.

I'll be sure to update with what happens when I tell him. Thanks, again.

4. Cocaj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Something always to keep in mind is whether you feel like your sustenance may be in peril if you come out to your parents (whether they would cut you off, or force you to into organized efforts to "change"). If the answer is yes, then I would be very careful about coming out until you are on your own.

If the answer is no, it's all about what you want, when you want it. Coming out isn't an easy process, and it DOES change alot. Looking back though, I wish I would have started dealing with my sexuality and coming out younger than I did, so I definitely encourage you to be yourself and go for it! :slight_smile: