1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help coming out :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Elmah, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Elmah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Im only 15,and I dont know if its too early or not -but Im tired of lying and hiding.I want to come out to my mom and my two older brothers but Im scared of their reaction...oh and I come from a Muslim family-so it can be a bigger problem:frowning2: Im hoping I can get some advice :help: :icon_sad:

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh well thats gonna be difficult but do you know their stance on the lgbt community?

3. Candace

Have you gone to a professional, a friend? Someone else who can help you and champion for you in your defense? I think that you should do that first. Remember that once you do that, you can't go back. I wish you the best of luck and please update us. I'm feeling for you :/.

4. Cocaj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    First off, welcome to the community :slight_smile:

Coming out, especially when still completely dependent on your family for support, can be a terrifying prospect. It is a decision that only YOU can make.

I am a college student, and it has been over the last year that I came to the conclusion that I am gay. I have absolutely no clue to what my parent's reactions will be, but I decided that I would prefer to tell them after I move back up to school for the year. It just reduces the stress of there being a total blow up and the double stress of living with that.

If you think you are in danger of being kicked out or mistreated by coming out, my advise would be to wait. If you hear them say something affirming, or even somewhat supportive of the LGBT movement, maybe take a chance.

Ultimately, it's totally up to you, and you should feel empowered that it is YOUR choice to make when YOU want to :slight_smile:

5. Elmah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    We never really talk about anything LGBT related,-its not a desirable topic for discussion in my country ..

6. Rose22

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey I recently came out to someone at work who I wasn't extremely close to but knew they would be supportive and I could trust them. I've found it to be really good as I've been able to tell them exactly how I feel about issues without having to worry about them telling my family or friends. That being said I've known her for about 4 years and it's taken me this long.
    I personally wouldn't rush it but I also wish I was completely out.
    If you ever want to chat about anything, I'm usually on daily.. so yeahhh lol

7. Elmah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you :slight_smile: I did come out to my close friends a while ago,they're cool and supportive about it-I hope my family will be the same..

8. Candace

You're welcome. That's what I did and you'll be surprised as to how far they'll help you out. Think of them as a source of consolation and refuge. What are friends for, right? :slight_smile:

9. Vampire

Maybe, you should bring up the LGBT movement subject to your family. Something like "Mom, I saw a gay/lesbian couple on the street today." and look for her reaction. That's your best bet. I know little to nothing about Muslims, but I do know that they're not the biggest supporters of the LGBT movement, so be careful.

I wish you the best of luck!

Lots of love,
    Andy

10. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish you luck. You may not realize this but (I assume you come from Ćrna Gora, Bosna i Hercegovina or Shqiperia) you will probably be one of the pioneers of equality for all people, regardless of their sexuality and religion in your country. You may feel proud to be among the generation that will breach the old hate that unfortunately haunts the Balkans, and one day when you are old you may look out on the street, see a pair of happy lesbians walk down the street and tell yourself "I was there when we first started to open up to the world..."

11. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Please probe your family first with methods that have been suggested in this thread.
    Don't just come out without having a plan, and making sure you'll be safe.

It's sad that I have to say this, but please, your safety is more important than all, and I know some muslim families are extremely hostile towards LGBT, especially towards LGBT women, and since you're still underage, you're an especially easy target.

Only come out when you are 100% certain that you will not be harmed for being who you are.
    I'm usually the first suggesting to be straightforward and bold, but this time around I'd suggest waiting and probing your family very carefully first.

12. Elmah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you so much :slight_smile: What you wrote is what keeps me going on and never giving up,cause I hope one day the Balkans,and the whole world,will be more accepting about all differences between people... :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2014 at 01:43 PM ----------

Thank you :slight_smile:Im glad to hear that you have someone you can talk to and be honest with.I have two supportive friends with whom I can talk to without fearing that they will tell someone else- I sure wont rush -but it is a lot easier when completely out,I just want to be honest with everyone,especially my mom. :slight_smile: