1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

school drama

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by spencer, Sep 5, 2008.

1. spencer

spencer Guest

Today at lunch my “friend” and I were having an argument, it started to get heated and then she said:
    “Why don’t you just go cut yourself again you f—ing emo faggot!”

I couldn’t believe it. I was shocked. So I said the first thing that came to mind which was:
    “I may cut myself but at least I didn’t lose my virginity on the eighth grade fieldtrip to the IMS.”

She was pissed and stormed off. Needless to say, we are not friends anymore.

I don’t know what to do next. I know I can’t talk to her with out getting into another argument and/or fighting.

What do you think I should do?

2. biisme

Well, I think what she said was definitely out of line, no matter what you were arguing about. However, I bet she's mad about your comment too (even though you had a right to be angry).

If you want to make up with her, and you know you'll get into an argument when you talk, why not send her a letter? First, try to resolve what you were arguing about, and then I think it would be benefitial to tell her how her comment was really cruel. It wouldn't hurt to issue a little note about your comment too.

But, simply, if you want to make up, and not do it face-to-face, write her, e-mail her, send her a message on facebook etc etc.

3. Brija

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    your "friend" was completely out of line. and you were just a little out of line. I would take biisme's advice and write a letter. Resolve your argument. apologize for your comment and tell her how much her comment hurt you.

I know this is so mean but when i got to the part of what she said about you i was shocked and appalled but when i got to your reaction and what you said back I actually giggled a little. It reminds me of a friend of mine and how she would have responded.

4. Noah

Don't mention her comment when u apologize. That only makes it worse. TRUST ME! Noone likes to be told they are wrong, especially when they are.
    Just apologize for what you said and leave it at that. She will do the rest.

5. AnimeFan4Ever

In Indianapolis now, I hope to move to Los Angeles
    Let her come to you to apologize or whatever (unless you were the one who started the argument). If you guys have been good friends for quite a while, try to patch it up, if not, just forget about it and her and move on. A real friend to me wouldn't say something like that even in anger. No matter which one you choose, wait. You or her may still be thinking of the argument and end up hurting each other all over again.

6. spencer

spencer Guest

I kind of have to talk to her again, because we have to give a presentation in class on Monday. I have decided to write her an email. I have made a rough draft of what it will say.

Do you think this okay?

Dear M,

I am sorry I implied that you are a slut. What I said was really mean I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. What you said was also cruel, and I would really appreciate an apology.

Sincerely,
    Spencer

P.S.
    I think that the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is a lovely place for someone to lose their virginity.

7. riddlerno1

I dont think that you should explicitly put this in as you didnt say this directly and it may make it sound worse!

The rest of the letter is ok

The last bit about the Indianapolis motor speedway is quite witty, made me giggle, but you may want to wait until shes calmed down a bit!!

8. -Michael-

how can she lose her virginity to a road?

9. spencer

spencer Guest

She didn’t lose her virginity to a road. She lost it during a field trip to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. A field trip is a trip to a place usually for educational purpose; an excuse to get out of school.

On a different note, I sent her that letter. Without that part about her being a slut and the thing about the IMS. I haven’t gotten a reply yet, but I will be sure to let you know when I do.

10. Derek the Wolf

I wouldn't have bothered with the letter. Anyone who suggests you go cut yourself is not a real friend, even if it's done in anger. Some things once said cannot be taken back, and her personal attack on you at that emotional level is in my mind unforgivable.
    See what she says. If she regrets saying it, then maybe you should talk to her. That's the extent of action you should take on this matter.

11. -Michael-

i know what a field trip is...it was just your phrasing confused me aha

12. -Michael-

i tell me friend she should start again and stop complaining to me...

xD she knows i love hr really though

13. spencer

spencer Guest

Her response to my letter:

I don’t give a damn if you’re sorry or not! You pissed me off and made me look like some cheap slut. I hate you!

Our friendship is over. I never want to see her again. I could have said worse things about her but I didn’t. I feel like telling everyone about all the slutty things that she has ever done.

14. -Michael-

what started all this if you dont mind me asking

15. spencer

spencer Guest

My friends and I planed on going up to Lake Erie for the weekend, because it would be the last time until next summer that we would all be able to get together as a group. She changed the plans without my knowledge and told me at the last minute that I wasn’t going. When I asked why she wouldn’t tell me. So we began to argue and then you know what happened next.

I know that probably sounds really stupid but she does this kind of thing all the time, and she does it just to piss me off.

16. -Michael-

Ever occur to you that she has a big problem and may need help?

17. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

and ur trying to make up.... umm know this will just piss her off more.. thats not how u apologize... take it from the person who holds more grudges than anyone in the world (this makes me good at apologizeing for some reason) all u have to say is that i was sorry for saying what i said it was out of line and i din't mean it... if she is a true friend she will apologize for what she said....

18. BeautifulStranger

Did you argue in a group of people? Did you really make her look like 'some cheap slut', or is she exagerating?
    Because if what you said to her was in a group, it is a lot worse than if it were in private. Although I don't believe it compares to what she said to you.

19. Leigh

Leigh Guest

what about the other people in the group... how have they reacted??

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She presumably didn't call you a cutting emo faggot out of the blue. Something led up to that to piss her off. I'm sure you don't think what you said to her was any big deal, of course, but then again, she probably didn't think what she said to you was any big deal, either.

And then you send her an "apology". Which to me reads as "Sorry I implied you were a slut, even though you obviously are one. There - now it's your turn to apologize to me."

And gee, she didn't take it well. How about that.

A couple things to take away from this.

* The proper response to somebody calling you something isn't to go through a mental list to find a proper rejoinder. Life isn't a "snap" contest. People will say things in the heat of the moment that they don't mean. Had you risen above, you wouldn't have had to apologize.

* Apologies aren't conditional. Your e-mail made it very clear that you WEREN'T sorry for what you said, and were simply angling for an apology from her. A true apology would've simply said "I said some horrible things about you in heat of the moment, and I really shouldn't've. I'm sorry."

It's up to you what you want to do with this.

Lex