1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regretting Coming Out to Family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Adarya, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Adarya

It is not that I regret coming out in general it is sort of that I regret coming out when I did. Overall I get the feeling that my parents/family do not take me seriously, either because of my age (16) or because of the fact that I've only had a crush on one specific girl for the past three years. Also, now that I am becoming more comfortable with myself as a person (as well as getting over that three year crush) I've been experimenting more and coming out of my shell. Just because I came out as a lesbian before, now a lot of my family thinks that because I said I "would not mind kissing a guy" once, it suddenly means that I am straight or at least bisexual. They don't really listen when I try to explain that there is a difference between my sexual and romantic attractions (my father says it's too many labels and definitions that don't really mean anything).

I regret informing them that I was a lesbian because while I am experimenting and figuring myself out they think that I jumped to the wrong conclusions too soon. They're sort of using it as an example of why my decisions shouldn't be taken as seriously as they should be (they're forcing me to get confirmed into Christianity even when I really don't want to, they are not taking my desires to go to the east coast for college seriously, etc.). I would have come out to them eventually, but now I'm wishing I would have left it until college for me to completely come out. :bang:

medamaude likes this.
  2. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How long ago did you come out? Maybe they need some time to understand and get used to your sexual orientation

3. Adarya

For my father it will be a year next month, my mother she has known for two years, and my sister always suspected so it wasn't a big deal when I told her I had a crush three years ago.