1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My ignorant mother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ardard, Aug 5, 2014.

1. ardard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So i am still in the closet with my family because they are very homophobic, today my mother and i got into an argument over gay marriage. She says that she is fine with gays getting married but they can't call it a marriage. Anyway the conversation soon changed and my mother was saying that some people that are gay were born this way and the only ones that were born this way were the stereotypical extreme feminine gay that you can see from the day that they are born. Then my mother said if you are gay and not like 100% feminine that you made a choice and that you can change.

This f*cking pissed me off so much and i had to pre tent that it didn't because or else she would start suspecting things.

So when i come out in the future she will probably tell me that i made a choice to be gay because i am not feminine around my family members.(I actually am a pretty feminine guy but i have learned how to act/lie around my parents to be the son that they want)

Oh and i forgot to mention that she said that most gay guy safe gay because they got raped

Any advice on how not to kill her in her sleep tonight:tears:

2. ardard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry for any misspellings or wrong auto corrected words

3. computergeek5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not too sure how to relate my coming out experience with yours. When I told my mom that I'm gay she compared me to my gay uncle who was very feminine as a child, played with dolls and hung out with girls. I grew up playing with legos and didn't hang out much with girls but it doesn't determine what I am attracted to. You have to remember that she will need time to process and accept it. I am still having difficulties accepting myself but I try my best to keep a positive attitude. I've found that writing my feeling and thoughts down in a journal has had a tremendous help on my sanity. The other day I was with some family and one of them said something stupid like gays don't eat meat. I was speechless.. What a stupid stereotype.. I love my meat and bbq.

4. Really

Had to laugh when you asked how not to kill her in her sleep. No advice there but certainly tell her that her generalizations are bullshit (choose your own word here). No class of people are all the same; in any way, shape or form. And nobody chooses a sexual preference. With all the bullshit that gets dished out, you'd be quite a glutton for punishment, if you did.