1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dropping Hints

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jguy365, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although my frantic worries to find my true sexuality have subsided, I am still absolutely confident in the fact that I am not totally straight. I think that my parents (or at least my mom) have their suspicions of me being gay, but I'm not sure.

Anywho, I have started to drop little hints to my parents that I might be gay. For example, my mom has very stereotypical views on gay guys, although she fully supports them. She automatically assumes all gay guys as fashion obsessed, hair dressing, feminine voiced...you get the picture. Sometimes she gets to going on that and I will mention how not all gay guys are like that...hint hint. (I do not fit the stereotypical gay guy mold. Other than my love for show tunes and interior design, my non-straightness doesn't really appear as obvious.

My hope is that my mom will catch what I am pitching, so to speak, so that she can ask me about my sexuality instead of my having to approach her and tell her myself. Is this a good method?

My sexuality hasn't been on my mind so much since I've been doing something absolutely amazing this week, but I'm thinking that I will think about it again once I am back home.

2. mangotree

I think it's fine to wait for her to ask.
    Keep in mind it though that she's probably a little bit afraid of the answer, so is hesitant to ask.
    You might have to drop some pretty blatant hints.

3. jaethenomad

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I second that :wink: drop a few more obvious hints aka (bait) to reel her in and I guess make her curious enough to ask...I wish you good luck !

4. Hyaline

There is always the alternative... Just let her off easy and just tell her...

5. timber

timber Guest

I've dropped hints to my wife about my crossdressing but she never takes me seriously she just thinks I am trying to be funny.

6. Candace

I feel like since your mom would support you anyway, why not just come out to her to begin with? Coming from experience, friends and family usually have a better idea of your sexuality than you originally anticipated, but they just don't say anything about it in order to not offend you/hurt your feelings.

7. LifeAsWeKnowIt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I try to drop hints to my friends (and my family, to some extent) all the time! Pretty sure they've been picking them up :slight_smile: