1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm bisexual, and my stepdad is homophobic...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ThePrideInside4, Aug 10, 2014.

?

Do you have any homphobic, unsupportive family members?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2014.
  1. Yes, my father.

7.7%
  2. Yes, my mother.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, my stepfather.

15.4%
  4. Yes, my stepmother.

7.7%
  5. Yes, my sibling(s).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. My whole family is homophobic.

38.5%
  7. No, they're all very supportive.

38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ThePrideInside4

So, lately my mom and my sister have been supportive of gays, not knowing that I'm bi. My stepfather is a homophobe. He can't stand my favorite gay Youtubers, he makes fun of their voices, and he says if his son was gay he'd disown him. I've never liked my stepfather. He's one of THOSE Christians; the ones who judge and disrespect homosexuals and anybody else who follows any other religion. I want so badly to just be free and be me, but I just can't. I'm 13, and I've known my sexuality since I was 10. I've only told 2 close friends. My mom thinks teens and children are "too young" to know their sexuality. I feel like if I tell her, she'd tell me I'm too young. My sister can't stand me, but she does support LGBTQs. I feel like if I tell her, she'll be the same as my mom. I NEED help. Please?

2. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is sad to say that society has yet to become fully supportive of all people, regardless of who they are. Your stepfather, without trying to be disrespectful, would fit quite well into this category of people. I know quite a lot of people who have had parents like this, and were relieved when they left their homes to study. In reality, it is the gay siblings who end up disowning their parents if they are not supporting of who they are.

As for age and sexual identity, I first realized my sexuality at the age of 10/11, though the exacts are foggy now. I feel that age should not be an excuse as to not understanding one's sexual identity. From science it's a part of our genetic code and we have the ability to incorporate these things into our daily lives from ages such as 2, where some will learn their first words. The reason your mother might say those things is because people tend to become more experienced with age and so she feels that you may not have experienced enough of the real world and others to be able to come to a justifiable decision about your own feelings. I would recommend waiting it out a little while and then you'll know when the time is right to start discussing your feelings with people close to you.

You should be able to know because the way your parents talk to you will change. For example, my parents currently talk to me like I'm an adult and have the ability to understand complex ideas. When I was your age, however, they felt that I just wouldn't be able to recognize or understand what they were trying to tell me simply based on the fact that I would have probably never heard of them before.

Just stay strong and remember that you will truly know the kind of person you really are. Also keep in mind that if your parents are not being supportive, then they are the people in the wrong because it is a duty to care and show understanding to one's child. If you ever need someone to vent to or discuss family situations, always know that my doors are open for you to come and talk.

Compute .

3. Robins Jacket

If I were you, I would wait a year or two. People treat you much more like an adult when you're in high school. I have an all around homophobic family (except my little sister and aunt) so I know how you feel. Who knows, your stepdad may stop his rude comments after you come out. I can't guarantee anything though, except the fact that you have people rooting for you. I send much love from the states <3 Good luck darling!

4. ThePrideInside4

Thank you! ^.^ (*hugs*)

5. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thy took the words right out of my mouth lol so not much to really say other then I know what your feeling my stepdads the same way lol. All I can say is hang in there and keep having positive thoughts! Whether you need to vent or just talk we're all here ready to listen! (*hug*)

6. ThePrideInside4

(*hug*) Thanks! :slight_smile: