1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slowly coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sam194, Aug 11, 2014.

1. sam194

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm very slowly coming out and telling one friend at a time, and so far it's been absolutely amazing. I've had great responses and am confident to keep going further to tell more and more friends as the days and weeks go on. I'm confident all my friends are going to take it brilliantly. However, the scariest thing is when I decide to tell my parents, it's not that i'm worried about their response, as i'm fairly confident it won't be a big issue, it's just working out how to do so. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what is the best/easiest way to tell a parent. Right now I'm lost on how to approach the conversation. Has anyone got any helpful experiences about this? Cheers! :slight_smile:

2. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out to my mom, we were in the car together and I started the conversation by asking her what her opinion was on bisexuals, and she responded that she was supportive of them, which was reassuring for me. I then went on to tell her that was bi and she was pretty accepting and supportive of me. You could start the conversation a similar way.

3. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well from my experience of coming out to friends, my biggest piece of advice, regardless of who it is, is to make sure the other people know how serious you are about your sexuality. My first time didn't go so well because I tried to be jokey about it and as a result, my friend thought it was a running-joke for a couple of days until it finally clicked. Just be honest, calm and be prepared for anything.

It's also a good idea to imagine what questions they could ask you, because they may want to know more. Be prepared to be open and give truthful answers to them so they can be there to fully supportive of you if they choose to do so.

Finally, just remember that parents are usually a big step to climb, if you don't feel ready at any point or you're nervous then it is perfectly fine to give it some more time. I've found there's a big difference in coming out between friends and family.

Good luck and I'd love to hear how it goes if you choose to take the plunge, here's to the best! If you need any more personal advice or want to ask any specific questions that I haven't answered, then you're more than welcome to ask here or on in a visitor message on my profile. : )

Compute .