1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as Transgender on Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by itsAli, Aug 11, 2014.

1. itsAli

So, I go back to college in September, and I want to be presenting Male and I.D'd as male the whole time and the majority of my friends already know, however there are some people I talk to who don't, and I was thinking about making a facebook status coming out, but, I don't know how to word it, I don't know what to say and I'm really scared. Help?

2. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would be inclined to tell the people who don't know in person... I don't have any experience with coming out on FB... But I do a lot of social media work in my profession of PR/Marketing. People will respect what you have to say more when it comes from you - ie, person to person. Partly because they feel like you respect them and want them -specifically- to know. Also, because it shows that you are confident in who you are. This is from a business perspective more than anything but I think it holds water outside of that realm. Which is why I always call people on their Bday or what not as opposed to commenting on their page or messaging them.

If you do this, then you can make your post something like:

"I've spoken with virtually all of you, if I haven't I apologize and I will try to get a hold of you if you don't un-friend me after this" (a little humor is my personal way of taking the edge off - not needed if you are not comfortable doing that) "I am -insert who you are- and -insert how you feel about it-" From there, thank them for being an important part of your life. Be clear and concise, make it official, then move on.

Something like that. That way if I didn't get a lot of comments, I wouldn't start feeling paranoid and not knowing who really feels what about me...

Good luck :slight_smile:

3. itsAli

Thank you, I've told all of the important people in my life, close friends, family etc, the facebook post would be to make sure everyone else I sometimes talk to would know

4. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If that's the case. Then go for it. I'm just starting to come out, while I am not ready for FB... I can see it being a tool to use like that later. Partly because I really would just rather some of the hyper religious people on my page to just un-friend me and go away lol. I can't deal with people and their bigoted lectures heh.