1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP ME... First GSA in the country

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Miaplacidus, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my latest Big Crazy Idea involves starting a GSA. (Gay-Straight Alliance for those who might not know)

The main problem is... if I tried to start it, it would be the first such organization in the country, and from what I'm seeing online, the first such organization in Latin America and Spain, as the translation of GSA to Spanish --Alianza Gay-Heterosexual-- only gets 89 matches on Google, and those are all Spanish-language pages from the USA.

I don't even know how to start... there are lots of guides online but those are very USA-specific... for example they talk about the reasons why the school/university can't ban them by citing US law.

And even if I knew how, would I resist such a heavy load on my shoulders? While there are lots of gay people in Uruguay, the overall situation is still pre-Stonewall Riots. Laws are pretty favorable to gay people, but the community is still very underground.

I've embraced my sexuality to the point that I dream of being an activist, but it would be so hard... and I'd be lonely through pretty much most of it.

I don't know what to do, nor how to do what I could do. HELP PLEASE...