1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time management issues >.<

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Helen, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Helen

Helen Guest

I've always had this problem. Always. But this year I have to find a way of fixing it, because this year is GCSE year, and it matters:tears:

I'll use today as an example. This is what I have to do today:

1. Read War of the Worlds, by HG Wells. Yes, the entire book. Due tomorrow
    2. Read through the full script of Kes. Due tomorrow
    3. Write seven of the 10 paragraphs about classical music I need to write. Due tomorrow.
    4. Learn 3 minute speech for French. Due thursday, but I'm utterly terrified of my teacher
    5. Finish off my drama coursework (1 two-page essay and finishing off sticking together my big A4 project) Due thursday.

I have so much to do, and I don't even know where to start, or how to go about starting.:tears:

And I just know it's going to be like this all year, because I always let pressure get the better of me, and I don't want it to be like this! I want to achieve the best possible results at GCSE. But frankly, I don't think my disorganised easily-distracted mind wants me to. :frowning2:

2. I haven't read Kes or War of the Worlds, but whichever's longer, read it first. Maybe write the music paragraphs in between chapters. THEN work on the speech and the drama stuff. Just organize it by what's due first and what is more difficult or will take longer.

3. Louise

Well it is clear that you can't do all of this for tomorrow. Kes is shorter and easier to read than war of the worlds so I would go for that one, then go and see your teacher explain that you have let things get out of hand and you are now in a right mess and can he set you a date for next week. If he won't well you will just have to accept a zero for that one but at least if you read Kes you will get some points.

Ditto for your music teacher explain, apologise and see if he will set you another due date.

Would you be allowed to sing a French song instead of a speech? Learning a song is much easier than learning a speech. If this is not an option take half an hour a day and repeat the first 10 lines till you know it by heart, then the next 10 and so on and so forth.

For your drama projet ask your mum or a friend to help you do the sticking and set yourself a time to do the essay. If you need half an hour then you say to yourself you can't watch the telly, eat chocolate, play music until the essay is written. If you reward yourself with something you like after doing a disagreable task you find the energy to do it.

What you have to do once you catch up with yourself is not let yourself get in this predicament in the first place. I am sure you wern't given those books to read yesterday, you should have found/made the time to read them. Ha, you can tell I'm a mum!

If you are chronically disorganised you can do something about it. Work out a chart for each week, and the week after and put in all your homework and the due dates and the time it will take you (I think you should give yourself a week to read a book thouroughly), then you can see clearly when you have two subjects which clash and it will help you to prioritize what you need to do.

Good luck but don't go killing yourself over all this just be honest and talk to your teachers. Do what you can do, one thing completely from A to Z then start on another task if you spread yourself out all over the place then nothing will get done correctly.

4. Helen

Helen Guest

Thanks for replying, Megan and Louise. And yes, I can indeed tell you're a mum :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Now it's time for you to tell that I'm a teenager. Excuse time! :grin:

Well, thing about war of the worlds is...I was technically supposed to read it over the summer, but I put my copy of it in a place where I normally don't put anything (back of my laptop case), so truly and honestly, I just forgot about it. :frowning2: And we've just met our new English teacher, and I'd absolutely hate to have to tell her that I haven't read it, because English is a subject I really enjoy and am quite good at, and plan to do it for A level.

I've had a proper look at my new timetable, which I'm not quite to grips with yet (today was the first day back). I made a mistake, my next music lesson isn't until wednesday, and even then my friend just informed me over MSN that the paragraphs and composition aren't due till the 'third lesson in the first week' which is thursday >.<

So I think what I'll do is read War of the Worlds today, that's what I'll devote my afternoon to. I'm quite a fast reader anyway, so I will probably be able to do some of my music after I've finished the book, and then I'll read Kes on the school bus and in the lessons before Drama tomorrow. (I genuinely WAS given Kes to read by tomorrow)

5. Louise

Phew, well that is a relief for the music but War of the Worlds is a 'heavy' going book and you will need to concerntrate to get the full meaning and be able to answer the questions. Next time put any books you have to read next to your bed then you can't forget.

Good luck, now turn of your computer and get reading *unplugs Helens computer*

6. Leigh

Leigh Guest

google the cliffs notes and read the summaries on the internet...

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically, at any given point, we can only do what we can. Yeah, you should have read this book over the summer, but that's over, and now you've got all these projects to handle at once. What can you do? Nothing but do it. Roll up your sleeves and get started.

If you're reading this post, that means you're not reading War of the Worlds. Log off, grab the book, and get reading, damnit. :wink:

Lex

8. Miles D

9. Andrew

If I was in your position. I would probably do book notes and stuff. :S.

Good luck with that LONG list.

-Luis