1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

genderqueer coming out to my mum

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AJ2014, Aug 14, 2014.

1. AJ2014

So she already knows im gay but that was to test the waters but obviously its true I want to tell her I think im genderqueer through a letter but I dont know want I should put in it. Help please

2. wolf of fire

My advice is use an analogy, also stress you are the same person you have always been just with a different gender in entity and it affects nothing else about you.

3. AJ2014

4. MissMook

Hi! I'm genderfluid and I just recently came out to my own Mom, it was very successful.

My advice: speak confidently and naturally about how you feel about yourself and try not to freeze up. Avoid words like "kind of", "I think", "maybe", and "I'm not sure." Chances are, she'll believe you much more if you're less on the fence and that you can truly show and embrace the real you that doesn't masquerade. If you write in a positive and happy tone, she might like that you are happy with who you really are.

Use terminology she may be familiar with and, like Wolf said above, use analogies to help her understand how you are feeling.

Most importantly, though, prepare to answer a lot of questions. I of course don't know your mother personally, so I don't know what questions she'll ask, but be ready for a "why" question.

Remember, she has known you (her child) as a female for as long as you've been together. A change like this is not easy to accept all at once, so it might take time.

Good luck with your endeavors. ^___^