1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my parents/the school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dakeli27, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Dakeli27

I reported this from family and friends, as this seems like a much better place:
    My parents are entirely supportive of LGBT+ rights, however I'm still afraid to come out to them as pan. I feel like they always see me as much younger than I am, and when my friend came out, they said he was probably doing it for attention. That was the last time I talked to them about him, but I don't think they noticed. Again, they're definitely not homophobic at all, but I don't think they'll really take me seriously, and it's hard to talk to them about anything personal, let alone my sexuality.
    I'm slowly coming out to people close to me, and I'm not really hiding it from anyone, just not bringing it up with most people. I am worried I might get a little grief if word really gets out. My school is the kind that isn't homophobic, but the students are fine with saying "that's gay". Most people know I'm often extremely uncomfortable socially, and do things just to make me a little uncomfortable. It isn't bad, but I'm afraid it'll get worse if I come out to enough people.
    Basically, the question is whether or not, and how, to come out to my parents, and how to come out to the school. I do want people to know, but I really don't need the extra attention.

2. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the same vote as you with my parents. But all I did with my school was just trying to summon up the courage to say I'm bi. I wrote a letter to a teacher that I'm really close to. With the rest of my class, there happened to be a conversation between two of the athletes in my class that were sitting next to me. It involved a gay person somehow. I don't remember who or how it got there though. I just sat there thinking that this would be the perfect time. I then hesitantly said I am. They were super shocked and then I said with a little more courage and stronger, "Well, bisexual at least.) The important thing is that you be ready. Only come out when you're completely ready and sure of yourself. Coming out before then can only cause problems later on. It sounds like your school is similar to mine, and there are a few people in mine that say things to me, but you just have to try to ignore them and know that it will get better as they grow up and mature a little bit. Lastly, all you can do is hope for the best. This probably doesn't help you a whole lot, but I hope it does. Good luck!:icon_bigg

3. Ryujin

I too am in the same boat relating to my parents, except my dad, who essentially said the same thing to me as you parents said about your friend which was extremely discomforting unfortunately. Hopefully if you talk to your parents enough they will understand, which is what I plan to do at the end of my holidays in 2 weeks.
    I first came out to my friend in my science class and it was one of the most liberating experiences in my life. My school is a bit like yours, people will use the word "gay" as an insult but really, once my friend spread it round the school(which I did not ask him to!) , everyone was surprisingly very accepting! I guess people don't actually understand what they're saying.
    All in all, l if you think there are people who you can trust, tell them and eventually get round to telling your whole class etc etc. Really, being open and honest about it is one of the best feeling ever!

4. ChickenLady

I'm in the same boat as you, although I'm only out to one friend. I plan to come out to any other close friends this school year but I've been thinking what to say to my parents, or at least my mother. My school is similar to yours, so I think we'll both be fine there.

As for your parents thinking of you as younger then you are... I'm going into grade 9 once school starts, but I don't feel my parents treat me quite my age, so I get where you're coming from. Maybe they'll understand you aren't doing it for attention, considering you don't seem to like attention much? As long as you can answer any questions they ask, I think you'll be fine.