1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So... parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kasey, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea...

I keep telling myself that I want to tell my parents. But I keep faltering. They keep saying they love me. My mom wants to know if something is wrong. I've been in the closet most of the summer since I moved home with them during summer break.

I swear they know something... or are ignoring it. I need to tell them but it's like my mom responded to me leaving grad school the first time as if I died. I can only imagine what they would day about their son being lost.

It's killing me inside. But I don't know what is holding me back. Hurting them or losing them?

My friends have told me they would sit down with me when I tell them. I want to take them up on that offer. I will probably need that strength.

I'm lost here guys.

2. Candace

I think that you should write down how you're feeling on a sheet of paper. Practice in front of a mirror of what you want to say. Remember that you get one shot at this. Realize that it could be worse. Are your friends/family homophobic? I mean, you're their child and someone's friend. Is your sexuality really worth having you tossed aside and cast out of their life? Do you honestly believe that? I feel that they will love you inside and out no matter what you are. Just have faith :slight_smile:.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not sexuality... that's easy.

It's the frankly much larger stigma of being transgender. That's the problem.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    From another thread:

5. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nowhere near as far along as you Kasey. I totally sympathize, freaking out about it myself.

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey Kasey, it's a hard place. my folks are in their 70's and religious (Salvationists) i've decided not to tell them, if they find out i'll deal with it, unless i actually get a boyfriend. and i don't plan to tell anyone in the family about being a cross dresser. i guess you need to do what you need to do. a friend of mine came out as trans to her folks (mtf) and her folks are in their 80's her dad surprised her by saying at 46 i guess you know your own mind and her mom said i always sort of knew. they may suprise you, but you know them better than i do. so(*hug*)

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think this needs to be a face to face conversation Kasey or something you could better articulate in writing? In conversation you are having to think on your feet and react to every comment and question immediately, with the possibility of a lot of heat and hurt flowing back and forth. In a letter or e-mail you get the chance to say it all and address all of the issues and fears you have of hurting or losing them.

What do you think?

8. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^^That's worth a shot. I am thinking of collecting the posts I made here that explain pretty clearly how I feel and why I never told anyone. This forum is really useful for a person to get things out and organized without having to dive straight in to the people you care about.