1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An old friend has come out, and I want to talk to him about it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by awesomeap88, Sep 8, 2008.

1. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was wondering if you guys could help me with this.

The other day, I wrote this blog, about how I found out that one of my good friends from school has come out (let's call him D). I also mentioned in the blog entry that I really want to talk to him about it. However, I am so nervous about it!!! Last night D was on MSN and I tried to have a chat with him, but the conversation was so brief that I barely got a chance to talk about anything at all (the conversation was literally hello; how are you; what are you doing these days - and I didn't even get a response to the last part). While that has demoralised me (I had to really psych myself up just to start the conversation with him because I was so nervous), I am not going to give up on trying to chat to him.

The reason for this thread is that I have a few questions that I want advice on before I do anything else.

How do I bring up the subject with D? I don't want to act dumb and pretend that I don't know until D brings up the subject himself, nor do I want to appear to be confrontational. That said, yesterday he added me to Facebook and he doesn't hide his sexuality on there so he could just assume that I read it on there.

Do you think that it would be a good idea to come out to him?

If I don't see D online again some time soon (like in the next week or so), should I just send an email instead? I don't really want to talk about it by email, especially because I haven't spoken to or seen him in such a long time (and I want to catch up on a lot more news than just his coming out), but I don't really see much other choice if D isn't online when I am.

When we were back at school, D and I one day were passing notes in class when he wrote “Are you bi?”, to which I replied “No!” (I didn't feel ready to come out at that stage, but for a few days afterwards I wish I had written “no, I'm gay” :eusa_doh:slight_smile:. Ever since then, I have always wondered why he asked. I was going to try and bring it up the next time I spoke with D before I found out that he came out, but should I still ask about it?
    (Incidentally, D is only one of two people to have ever question me about my sexuality)

I'm sure that I will probably have more questions later but any input on those ones would be greatly appreaciated.

I know I am probably over-analysing the situation and getting worried over nothing but I just want to be sure that I want to do this and I want to do it properly.

Thanks guys.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not approach him directly? Next time you see him online, just say "I heard you just came out, and I think that's really excellent! I admire your bravery." He can take it from there. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Noah

If D is anything like me, he won't bring it up. You should ask him. Just a simple, "Hey, I heard you came out recently. Good for you." Something like that...

4. Jim1454

D has put it out there by stating it on his Facebook page. I'd say it's a fair topic of discussion...

"Hi D - I just noticed on your Facebook page that you're into guys! That's cool!"

And as Lex said - let him take it from there.

5. Endlessnight500

Hey, if you can get up the courage maybe you could be like..

"Hey, remember that time you asked me if I was Bi, and I said no. Well, I'm Gay."

I know its kind of just throwing it out there, but if thats not an Icebreaker on the subject I dont know what is.

6. riddlerno1

If he has put it on facebook then im sure he wont mind you asking him about it straight out. He is definitly going to be too nervous to bring it up himself and so it may be up to you to do that. Once you have done it could make your friendship stronger as you've both got someone to talk to about this.

7. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I have been doing some more thinking on this, and rather than waiting for him to come online, I might send D an email and try and arrange to catch up in person for a coffee or something instead. I feel it would give us a better opportunity to catch up (as I have said before, it has been a very long time since we have seen each other) and to me it would be a little bit more personal than writing on a computer screen. I won't mention anything about D's sexuality (or mine) in the email, I will just say that we should catch up and when/if we actually do, I will discuss it then.

I will keep you guys posted if anything happens and I will keep all of your suggestions in mind.

8. Endlessnight500

That sounds like a good Idea. Let us know how it turns out :grin:

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Excellent. Let us know how it goes.

Lex