1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xplodingpassion, Aug 16, 2014.

1. xplodingpassion

i'm 23 and still havent come out to my parents, i find it easy to tell my co-workers and friends but when it comes to telling my mom and especially my dad i'm terrified

2. BiPenguin

Because they are the people most important to you and who you need support from the most. Are they generally supportive or against non-heterosexuality?

3. Torias

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm 32 and in the same boat. It basically boils down to whether or not you want to tell them.

For me, growing up there were always comments made whenever there was something on tv relating to our community. It wasn't exactly homophobic, but it did make me feel uncomfortable. Now that I'm older I find that, for me at least, it really isn't any of their business who I love or sleep with. I'm out to the people who are closest to me which are my friends and that's all that matters to me.

If you do feel the need to tell your parents though: I would suggest that you start with your mum as you seem to be more comfortable with telling her. Then discuss telling your dad with her and if you tell him, have her there with you for support.

4. xplodingpassion

My mom is generally supportive, my dad well thats another story

5. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

You could always just come out to your mum first and ask her to keep it to herself until you are ready to deal with your dad. :slight_smile: