1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A world where "coming out" doesn't exist

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlezinwondRland, Aug 17, 2014.

1. AlezinwondRland

I think about this quite a bit - what it would be like if "coming out" wasn't necessary in this world. Will we ever get to a point where this happens?
    Why is it that you have to stand up and declare the fact you are "different", only if you are anything but straight. Why is it that LGBTQ young people have to go through hell, worrying about rejection, being disowned, being judged, hated, abandoned, losing friends, family, people they care about, driving themselves crazy trying to suss out and predict reactions from the ones they love. And all because it is assumed automatically that every girl will hit puberty and find boys attractive, while every boy will hit puberty and find girls attractive.
    It's the "norm", the "natural", the assumed.

WHY?? It angers me that even as far as humanity has come with lgbt rights - even the countries where it is legal, where civil partnerships, marriage, are finally legal. And even the most liberal of countries/cities where the majority of the population support lgbt rights - the act of having to "come out" if your attraction or identity isn't straight - still exists!

I hope that in my lifetime (although i'm severely pessimistic about the chances) - young
    people and children and adults - anyone who figures out they are gay, lesbian, bisexual, asexual, pansexual, transgender, transexual, confused, questioning (anything that doesn't fit into the assumed - have no need to go through having to declare it, like their peers who do fit into the world's "norm", are able to.

I hope one day we will live in a world where parents and friends and humanity as a whole - expect every child, teen, person - to one day announce their attraction whether its straight, gay whatever. Even this would be amazing and equal and fair.
    Let kids grow up. Explore. Experience. Go through puberty, crushes, first kisses, dates. Let them figure out in their own time, at their own pace, and with their loved one's support - who they are as a person. Who they are attracted to. And when they know straight or lgbt - declare it in an environment with no assumption that they are this or that.

Will we ever get even close to this? And will I live to see it? :eusa_doh:

2. thekillingmoon

Majority dictates the rules, unfortunately. And seeing how heterosexuals are majority, I doubt being anything other than straight will become the norm in a full sense. There's always going to be expectations of a person to be attracted to the opposite sex, get married and have babies. On a positive note, I do believe more people will be accepting in the future and make less of a big deal out of it.

3. Dakeli27

To be honest, as sexual orientation and gender become more cemented around 5, I think it's miseducation that makes coming out necessary. At that young an age, still in kindergarten, I think that if a kid liked a boy, and he knew that liking boys was "a thing," he would be fine with announcing that. I think that this might also be true with trans*, but unfortunately, feminine boys are picked on pretty much always.

So, basically, I think that if kids knew that what they felt is "a thing," then they'd probably admit that as they found out, and while it might not help the homophobia of society, it would make those kids' loves a little easier.

I wanted to say "and homosexuality and transgenderism will probably be seen as more normal" but I realized homophobes would say that we "taught" them how to be gay.

AlezinwondRland, I love your post and your message, and totally agree that that would be a great place.

4. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel the same way. hate the idea of having to sit people down an tell them I'm different to them and wait to see if they approve of me or not.
    I'm going to live my life as normal and do what i want. and if someone happens to ask I'll tell them.

5. TheStormInside

I think there is some thinking heading in this direction. I'm sure across the globe it'll be a long time from now, but in more liberal areas you sometimes see people more open to the possibility without necessarily considering a label as the first question. For example, my friends have a 9 month old and joking around we'd say "we're going to embarrass the heck out of him with these stories when he brings a girl home".. then someone might add "Or a boy, that's cool too!" So, I could see a world, probably in the distant future, where someone simply mentions the name or gender of their crush or partner and that is all it takes to "come out" because awareness is such that while most people are straight not all are.

Not all that long ago mixed race couples were taboo in the US, now, while it's still not quite as common, people hardly bat an eye. Hopefully things will eventually become that way for same sex couples at some point, too.

6. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The first step is to encourage LGBT lessons in schools, especially from a young age such as 6-10 before bullying in schools starts to occur in teen years. Obviously sexual content should be kept away however showing children about the ideas of relationships and orientation should be discussed. If people are able to comprehend arithmetic and religious view, they can easily understand LGBT concepts.

It wont be an immediate effects but this would definitely have future generations growing up with a wider variety sexual norms. The only reason that this has not taken place is because of religious dominance over the past centuries which is still lingering in select individuals.

7. prussianblue100

This sounds like an amazing future. Every time someone mentions me getting a boyfriend, or boys thinking I'm cute, or anything, it feels like a slap to the face. I think LGBT lessons in grade school are a great idea. It's too bad it hasn't already happened already. I would feel better if they mentioned homosexuality and bisexuality back then.

8. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For my part if schools bothered to explain in grade school that a persons body does not indicate how they should feel or behave (socially), that would have changed my entire life.

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to agree with this.

I am not offended when someone assumes I am straight and cis, because I understand the majority of people are.

But, I would love to be able to just say, "Oh, no, I'm actually a trans guy who likes other boys." But I can't.

That's a more realistic future, to me.

10. Ivysaur

I agree that majority dictates the rules. Being straight seems to be an automatic default sexuality, and as long as that mindset is there, an "opt-out" system will have to be in place. But I also think that as long as tolerance is taught from a young age, the burden of coming out will eventually disappear.

11. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Heteronormativity is deeply woven into Western culture's understanding of human life and human gender. Much of the deep texture of our culture assumes heterosexuality and works to reinforce it.

I would not count on what you describe happening anytime soon...

12. Dakeli27

And, if I'm right and education is the key to understanding and being able to "come out" as soon as you know you're LGBTQ+, then laws like the proposed "don't say gay" bill aren't exactly doing us a favor. I mean, it utterly disgusts me that such a bill would ever even be considered!

13. AlezinwondRland

Thankyou darlin it'd be awesome =] and You make such a brilliant point cub! When I was 9 years old I remember playing mums and dads and being the dad cos I had a weird (to me) feeling in my stomach every time she said a word to me. I had no idea it was attraction. But if I'd grown up being told and taught about the fact I could maybe fancy a girl and grow up to marry a girl. And if id been taught from early on that it is natural and okay. having a "playground boyfriend" could be a "playground girlfriend" with the same reaction - i genuinely think I would have figured out my sexuality for sure a lot sooner, and learnt to understand accept and be proud of it a lot earlier!

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2014 at 01:27 AM ----------

You go glen coco you go. Well said dude! Well said.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2014 at 01:36 AM ----------

The name! That's exactly it. A world at least where the name of their crush or girlfriend/boyfriend, partner is the coming out process. Even if the gender changes for a while, it's known that they are questioning or will maybe figure out they like both.
    The reaction needs to change . And although I said pessimistic , I can see in most of my generation and younger , our per cent of accepting and unfazed reactions are increasingly and majorly different than the per cent of those before us, and before them, and before them. When u actually look at the progress since homosexuality even became legal in uk and america- it's not been within a massive time period. Fingers crossed for the next gen

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2014 at 01:55 AM ----------

Ivysaur -
    I agree i guess. I understand majority rules as the "norm" but what if sexuality is so assumed and has been for so long that some People may exist or have lived their lives thinking theyr straight or the right gender - because they have been drilled into believing chances are they aren't gay, or "I might not enjoy sex or feel attraction for my husband, and I think girls are beautiful but I can't be gay because I love my husband
    My best friend is a straight guy and I could happily spend every day being around him - I love him to bits- but I am not attracted to him not would I even consider the thought of sex without bokin because i know for sure it's only women I enjoy it with, only women I am attracted to in that way, only women I can not just love but fall madly IN love with.
    What about how many peeps there could be denying to themselves for a lifetime there's even a possibility they could prefer the same sex because theyv been told it's a choice and unnatural. Never experimenting or experiencing to know for sure because they couldn't accept if they did prefer another girl or another boy.
    Add to that those who figure out too late, or deny so much they marry, have families (even sometimes trying to use these as more attempts to suppress) then can't bear to leave that situation or alter the life they have and know and have built with someone. Can't bear to break that someone's heart.
    Then add those who haven't reached the age or point of readiness to come out.
    Do u think our minority could lessen any? That numbers might be different? Or is this just wishful dreaming too! Lol

14. AAASAS

The majority of people are straight so people will always have to come out, it may just be more like expressing your opinion on your flavour of pizza than admitting a life style in the future.

15. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm, I struggle with the pizza analogy. Will it ever be that casual? After all, gayness is a major block to human fertility. That will always have significance.

I also think liberal parents today, at least those who profess to be LGBT friendly, actually deal with a lot of issues - sometimes silently - upon discovering their child is queer. There aren't in reality many families who have an authentically blasé response, IMO, so getting that to be universal may take a while.

16. HTBO

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago. My friend was telling me I need experience to know for sure (and she's gay). I thought, no one ever tells a straight virgin that they need experience to know for sure. They just know, and so do we, and if we were considered as normal as heterosexuals, then yes, it would be a matter of figuring it out during puberty and go from there. Whichever way people feel is right would be considered ok, and not deviant. It would be so nice to get rid of this closet for everyone. But there are many problems which limit this as a possibility. A big one is homophobia, but even just changing the expectations of parents that their child will grow up and marry someone of the opposite sex, and have children. There shouldn't be a grieving process when your child is not straight, there isn't anything to grieve because everything they want for them is still possible. I was upset thinking about all of this the other day, and it isn't right because there is nothing abnormal about us, we are just as normal as heterosexuals. The way I was able to deal with it is to remind myself that this is my goal: normalize everything LGBTQ. Not to worry, I don't actually have expectations this will happen, but hopefully through my research and work I can make a small contribution.

17. Ivysaur

I definitely understand that, but I'm just thinking that just admitting your sexuality could not necessarily be on the same level as just admitting your favorite topping on a pizza. An assumption exists. It's definitely wrong, but I don't really know if that could be fixed. I think that's a part of that has to do with the environment a person grows up in. I mean, a kid's first instincts is in part to mimic their parents because they admire them and that's all they really know of the world. If the parents were straight, then the kid might think they'll have their own wife/husband one day because that's all they know of a happy family (so far). Of course, that's wrong, but it's like a default setting for them, whereas just admitting your favorite flavor of pizza isn't like tied in with your nationality. I feel that the most ideal thing to do would be to have more exposure and positive connotations connected to being gay/bi/or whatever orientation from a young age in order to drill in the concept that there's more than one way to be happy. Right now, I think the burden of coming out is more because of the negative connotations/stereotypes attached.

I mean, I really hate that it's like this right now. If it was a perfect world, I wouldn't be on this forum lol, and more people wouldn't be suppressing their sexuality. And I wouldn't have to lie when a friend came up to me today to ask me, "How's that straight life going?" But I think if more tolerance/positive connotations/exposure existed, then the world can come pretty close to unburdening the pressure of coming out.

I don't know. I feel like we're parroting the same things, but through different means lol

18. robotman

So is this basically a world where everyone is gay and if you are straight you have to come out? (role reversal) Or is it a world where no one assumes you are anything and you can just live without there being prejudice and everyone is just whatever they are? If so dig both worlds. They sound great lol.

19. Dakeli27

That nobody assumes. That being straight or gay is like a favorite color, you can freely admit it as soon as you decide, and you won't be seen as strange or different because of it.

20. AlezinwondRland

Haha I guess we are parrotting slightly, but who cares lol it's cool hearing everyone's different "means" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I get what you say about mimicking parents - but then if a child has gay parents (which will become a lot more common than right now by the sounds of every same sex couple I know in our generation), will that influence them to believe they will marry the same sex? This is thrown at us as an anti-gay parenting point to make - but then same sex parents I believe make so much more of an effort to reinforce to their kids that some people have two mummies, some two daddies, some a mummy and a daddy. Gay parents want to reinforce this. So that their children don't grow up believing they will definately fall in love with the same gender. If they didnt reinforce this, the homophobic views and b/s would be thrown at them from every angle!. Yet with straight parents, if this isn't reinforced (which lets admit it really isn't at all in most cases) - are we as the lgbt community, throwing nasty comments their way for not making their children aware they might not be straight ? NO
    It's unfair and unequal and wrong - but hard to change. Parents can't be forced to introduce their children to same sex marriage or the possibility they may realise later in life that they prefer the same gender. What can be done though is to educate and expose through schools, society, anyway we can - so that parent's can no longer hide their kids away from learning this fact sooner.