1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failed to come out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nathlovesyou, Sep 10, 2008.

1. nathlovesyou

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I told my mom i was bisexual. She brought me to my psychologist to tell her because she thinks sommethings rong with me. The doctor told her more people swing both ways the straight but just never admit to them self that they are. so we dont talk about it anymore but i wanna be proud of it and not hide this anymore but they make it not acceptable my feelings :confused:

2. lexie

i think if your mother doesnt accept it, you may have to just accept that she feels that way and hope that given time maybe her feelings on the subject may change, the problems with her, not you. sounds like she has pretty strong views about it been wrong, so who knows if she'll ever accept in the near future. i dont know, maybe try bringing it up again. someone might have ideas/advice on how to deal with your mother, based on personal experience, i dont have any, so i'll leave that aspect alone.

and just say, it's your life, and although it would be a milion times better if she accepted you, for you, if she doesnt, its your life, continue to do what makes you happy.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Give your mother some time to digest everything :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

4. Peridot

My mom pretty much has the same views. I tried explaining it all to her, but she wouldn't listen. She never sent me to a psychologist, luckily, but she was threatening to if I ever brought it up again. Now we don't talk about it although I'm afraid SHE'LL try to bring up the subject.

My advice: Just live your own life by your own values/beliefs. Although you're mom is in denial, she'll have to realize sooner or later that this is who you are and you can't change it.

I hope my mom figures that out soon enough. -_-

5. Noah

Agree. Don't rush into anything, its hard to convince other people of things. At the same time, don't hide who you are!!!

6. Sam

Sam

Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree about these things. We can't always change others opinions. Hopefully it will get better for you. My dad is the same way.

7. biisme

Have you tried giving you mom material to read, or something to help explain to her that NOTHING is wrong with you?

But, hopefully she will see that you are who you are and your sexuality is what it is. And it is not wrong.

8. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I'm sorry that she has those views. Hopefully with time, and maybe a PFLAG pamphlet, she will change her views. Remember that whatever she says, your sexuality is not wrong and you deserve to be happy (*hug*)

9. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Well, first of all, congratulations on coming out to her. That's no mean feat!

How long ago was this? How much have you tried talking to her? Maybe giving her some time, and if you feel it's possible, at some point trying to talk to her about it might help. But then, sometimes it can be hard to change someone's opinion - it all depends upon whether you believe your mum is someone who will allow herself to be educated, irather than someone who will always believe the same thing, whatever information is put in front of them.

But I wish you luck and sorry it hasn't worked out great so far

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    There is a PFLAG pamphlet on bisexuality. Look under PFLAG publications in this section. Its a sticky.

11. cityboy340

Originally: OC, California Now: Baltimore/DC
    Hey congrats on coming out!
    but yeah I've had the same situation and my mom tried to council the gay out of me :eek:
    and she tried to convince me to "at least be bisexual" (actual quote) so there was a chance that I'd be straight :bang:
    but yeah I'd just give it some time, let her think a bit and maybe (hopefully) she'll come around :thumbsup:
    best of luck!