1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University - freedom?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LifeAsWeKnowIt, Aug 19, 2014.

1. LifeAsWeKnowIt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I planned to come out when I start university, (which is in about two weeks) because I figured it would be less restrictive and judgemental than Catholic school. I'm still living at home, and I looked forward to joining the rathe large LGBTQ society in my university, maybe even before I came out. However, today we all received timetables and stuff about clubs and societies and the first thing my mum said said was 'omg even they have a big gay society, they're at it up there too hahaha are you gonna join' (I'm paraphrasing but that's pretty accurate). Since then, my family have laughed at the existence of an LGBTQ society in my uni, despite the fact there's pages and pages of other events and groups.

I'm not ready to come out yet, but I do want to join, or at least tell my family that I disagree with their opinions. They're not necessarily homophobic, just kinda ignorant. How do I being it up without them jumping to conclusions (they do that a lot!).

I kind if just needed a rant, but also if you guys have advice it'd be greatly appreciated!

2. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Would it not be possible to join but to keep your involvement a secret from your family for a while? Once you're an adult your family no longer have a right to know where you are and what you are doing all the time. I think it (joining the society) would definitely be something worth doing, if you feel comfortable putting yourself in that environment.

3. ^ Great advice. Whatever you parents think, just go and join. Throw yourself into it & meet people.

4. LifeAsWeKnowIt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I think I might, but I feel like at the same time, it's a pretty open place and there's not many closeted people gonna be there... I'd also love to go with a friend, but I'm not out to anyone :/ I'm thinking of saying that I'm just going to look, kind of like an ally, for now?

5. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You know what... You should join it. Then when you come home to visit, be like, "Hey mom, you remember how you thought the LGBT society was so funny! I joined. *big smile*."

Dude, join it. You won't regret it, the university LGBT programs are beyond fun and epic. I highly recommend it! Don't think about anyone else but yourself, a little bit of selfishness is perfectly okay, especially when its about YOUR future.

You don't need to be gay to join.