1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silentsound, Sep 10, 2008.

1. silentsound

I am not ready to tell my parents. I am not ready to tell most people in my life, which I am chill with at this point in my life. My goal is to have them know by my 21st birthday, before then well we'll just see how it all plays out. The thing is I have a sneaking suspicion that my mom *might* suspect, or even flat out know. Do you think it is that likely for parents know before you tell them?

2. Cool Beans

Oh, it's definitely possible. When all the other boys and girls are dating and hooking up with each other and you never even mention a member of the opposite sex or show any interest in dating, it can easily raise a red flag for parents. But then, some parents don't put the pieces together, either because they're in denial or they're just not that observant. Why do you think your mom might suspect? Do you conform to a lot of stereotypes? Do you not show any interest in dating boys? Anyway, if she does suspect and she hasn't said anything negative about it, then it hopefully means that she's accepting.

3. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My mum had a very strong feeling (read as: fantastic gaydar) about me before it even occured to me, let alone then going through denial, acceptance, etc. So yes, it's quite possible. But as Cool Beans said, it depends on your parents and their observational skills too. :slight_smile:

G'Luck!

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I think quite a few parents know. Then again, some are really shocked.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fo shizzle. It's hard to hide all our ogling, all our disinterest in the opposite sex, and of course the "how come (you) doesn't ever have a boyfriend"? It won't necessarily be obvious, but there will be signs. And don't worry about hiding them. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Noah

Mine had no idea, I'm a pretty straight acting guy.
    I think you should tell them, but I'll leave that up to you. The problem you have now is that they will say you are too young to make that big a decision. That happened to me, and I'm 17...
    Don't rush into anything. They probably already suspect.

7. Sam

Sam

Definitely. Parents know more than we think both my parents suspected especially my mom. If they do suspect, most likely they will wait for you to tell them so don't stress about it too much just tell them when you are ready whether that is today or 10 years from now. You'll know when it's time.

8. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

It depends is it something that they would ever think about or is the gay community something they ignore completely. If they think about it then your mum might have guessed unless they are like my parents who will never admit that gays exist and won't notice that I'm gay if it was right under their noses.

9. riddlerno1

Parents can suspect a great deal and i suppose you dont know what they discuss between themselves. My mum actually tells me to stop moving my hands in a very feminine way as that looks gay!! Thats one of they ways that i suspect that she actually knows or has an inkling.

10. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Neither parent guessed until I started hinting very heavily.

11. silentsound

To reply to all of you who said they must be wondering why I don't have a boyfriend, I have had boyfriends in the past year. Not for a while, but I have.

To answer why I think they may know, mainly it's just a feeling, which makes me wonder if I am just becoming so comfortable with it that I think it must be obvious. Also I think she may have looked at my blog on my computer. I leave it up sometimes in a tab just on my private home screen, and she's not that computer savvy so I don't know if she would take the time to figure out exactly what it is or how to get to the main page, but my coming out story was only a click away once or twice while I was at school and had been too rushed to shut down my cpu. Mainly it is just a general feeling. Then there are times like the other night when we are talking about my youth group, where I dated a boy for a few months, and my mom says "I don't know why you ever broke up with that Dylan he's so cute!" and expects an answer like she might be trying to angle at something. But that's how all teenage relationships work right? I just don't know...

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You could play up the stereotypical role to the height of the clouds and have your parents not notice, or you could be extremely feminine and have a forgotten letter or open web page tip them off. It really depends on what kind of people your parents are. Just don't worry about trying to cover for yourself, and the worst that could happen is them finding out before you're ready for them to know. Once you do come out, you never have to worry about that again, but don't take that as a suggestion to rush things. Go at your own pace.