1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbians: do you want children (and would you give birth to one)?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blueberrykisses, Aug 21, 2014.

1. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm 20 years old and I don't like children. Never have. I have always found them annoying, for as long as I can remember, even as a child I despised children who were younger than me. I don't find babies cute at all. That reaction people have when they see a baby.. that baby talk thing etc. I get like that with baby animals but wouldn't look twice at a kid if I saw one.

I never had any desire to have children and my mom frequently brings up that awful 'when you have children...' stuff. I get so disgusted and frustrated whenever she says that but I've realized that's because what she actually means when she talks about my future children is 'when you get married to a man and get pregnant by your husband and then give birth to a child', well if I EVER decided to have a child I would get married to a woman, have her inseminated through IVF or adopt a kid but I would never in a million years even think about getting pregnant. The idea of being pregnant is a completely alien notion to me, it is against my nature. I imagine I feel similarly about getting pregnant as a man would if someone told him he will get impregnated one day - it is a disturbing thought!

The only reason I'm saying I might have children in the future - and by the future I mean in about 20 more years - is because I don't know who I will be when I'm 40. I will probably be a very different person then so it could happen that I might get an urge to have children. But sometimes I'm really worried that that time will never come... and that makes me really sad because what if the girl I fall in love with and marry wants children? What if she was my perfect match but she wanted kids and I didn't... I would need to compromise and have children that I have no wish to raise (and that's horrible for me and the children involved so I wouldn't do it) or she would need to give up on her dream of having kids. Or we would need to part ways...

I mean, most women do want children so when I meet my future wife this is a problem that will need to be solved one way or another...

So do you girls want kids and do you want to give birth to them yourself or you just want kids and wouldn't care if they came from Mars?

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2014 at 12:49 PM ----------

Soo I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Can someone move it please, sorry:eusa_doh:

2. HTBO

I already have children so I can't be much help that way. But, if I was with someone who has them, or who wants more, I may consider it. I wouldn't want to be pregnant but that's because I become very sick when pregnant and I can't go through that again. I wouldn't worry too much about finding the love of your life and her wanting children and you not. If she is the love of your life and wants children, you will probably want to do whatever it takes to make her happy and agree to it because it's important to her and may actually come to desire them yourself because of how you feel about her. Love can do strange things to a person. I can give you an example of my daughter, who is 20, and her entire life has not wanted any children, and just like you did not like them or anything to do with them. She now has a bf that she's been with for a little over a year and completely in love with him, and talking about their future children:slight_smile: I asked her what happened to never wanting any and she said she changed her mind and wants a family someday with her bf. That's what love can do to you, you want to do everything that brings you closer to that other person and raising a child together is sometimes one of those things. You're young, don't worry too much about it now.

3. Really

Oh Blueberry,

Martian babies? They're more like dogs, right? I'll take one.

But, seriously, don't worry about not wanting kids. Lots of people don't. And I'm sure it would come up in conversation before you actually needed to know it. It should be quite easy to work into a conversation. "How big is your family? My sister has a bunch of kids but I'm not into kids. I can take them in small, quiet doses."
    Of course, your opinion could change over time but there's no shame in saying, "This is how I feel today."
    You could even present it as a philosophical point of view. Economically and ecologically, they don't make sense.
    I also don't particularly want them but if I was with someone who did and wanted to carry the thing, then I would revisit the idea.

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

maybe. never birthed. alien babies are prefered. would prefer toddler age and up over babies actually.

5. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't give birth. I have not been around children a lot. I am not super comfortable with them. That being said, I am not exactly opposed. It would really depend on a lot of factors. I would really love a pet though.

6. Queer NOS

I absolutely adore children, and I am not opposed to the process of carrying and birthing a child, but I doubt that I would make a good parent.

For one, I have a very low frustration tolerance and tend to meltdown or shutdown under pressure; I may be too stressed out to attend to all of the child's needs in a timely manner (I know this because my nephew and nieces visiting me often leaves me in a ball under the covers, unable to keep my eyes open...sometimes before said children even leave). Secondly, strong emotions frazzle and overwhelm me, and babies and young children are full of strong emotions. I may wind up shutting my poor child out periodically, as I often do with my parents. I require long stretches of solitude, which is not conducive to one raising a creature in need of near-constant affection. Also, I occasionally forget to take care of my own basic needs; I fear for what would happen if another person were dependent on me to take care of theirs.

Maybe some of the above will change later in life, but there have been times in the past where others have placed bets on my eventual maturity and were met only with disappointment...

I am not sure what I would do if my hypothetical partner were to want children. I would express my concerns with her at any point in the relationship where children are being discussed. If all parties were open to the idea, I would not be opposed to her having a family with someone else and having me "on the side" (again, only if all parties are aware of this and consent fully). If I could figure out how to suggest this without being dismissive of her very real desires and needs, perhaps I would hint at the possibility of us volunteering with children together a few times a week. Perhaps I'd give in and seek Parenting Counseling; if we happen to be economically well-off, perhaps I'd hire a nanny to help make up for my inadequacies in this area.

7. TheStormInside

When I was younger I didn't want children, but the older I get the more open to the idea I become. I'm still uncertain, but it's a possibility. As to whether I would want to carry and give birth to one, to be honest I'd rather avoid that whole mess. I've also worried that I wouldn't be able to handle it emotionally, but having seen a friend with more significant mental health issues deal with pregnancy I have more confidence in my own abilities now, at least.

It's possible you'll change your mind as you age, and it's possible you won't. The other thing is, it's kind of different to have your own kids than to deal with other children. So even if you don't like kids in general you will probably like YOUR kids. (At least hopefully you will! :icon_razz ).

I do think that it's a valid concern to take into consideration if you are getting into a relationship with someone and you determine you never want kids and they absolutely do want kids. That is the kind of thing that can break up a marriage. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you're just in the early stages, or casually dating, but if it's someone you know you want to be with long term it's an issue you'd definitely have to address.

8. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm going to be the oddball; I want to both birth and adopt (foster)children. The way that some people are drawn to animals, I am drawn to tiny humans. Not having a large family filled with kids in unimaginable to me. You should not feel bad about not wanting kids... some people are not meant to have children. It is possible that you will change (or fall deeply in love with someone and want to make them happy), but if you don't, you should not feel guilty!

9. ThePrideInside4

Well, if I ever got with a girl, I'd rather have a sperm donation and her be the pregnant one. I really don't want to be pregnant. Or I'd adopt. I'd adopt a baby and make my wife change the diaper XD :laugh:

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think I want kids but then ,I see a cute baby and think wow what if I had my own baby girl ,dressed her up brought a cute bow and put her in a stroller. Then I imagine my future wife and me having fun and taking care it . But you see when that baby grows up I don't think I will like it not at all .
    I do not want to give birth no way my wife is doing it not me hell No . :dry:

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

BABY CLOTHES ARE SO CUTE omg same for toddlers...... all the nautical and jungle animal and happy calm pastel colors and THE LITTLE HATS AND SOCKS BWAAAAH

then somewhere around 5 or 6 it all turns into licensed stuff but is still fun, i love when kids make their own outfits because it feels so honest and endearing.

12. Randomcloud

If I have the time and money to provide for a child, yes I do. I love kids, my job involves working with kids, I would love to have maybe one or two as long as I'm in a place where I'm able to give them a happy upbringing.

Childbirth doesn't scare me so I'd have no issue giving birth, but I've always had it in my head that I want to adopt. I think it would be extra rewarding

13. sammy1

I do not like children at all and I never have! I hate when ppl show me their baby pics cuz I just don't know what to say! I don't care to see ur baby pics!!!! They all look the same and they are ALL ugly! Sorry! Lol I just hope I don't meet a perfect woman who one day wants to have children. :/

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2014 at 11:04 PM ----------

Not sure if I answered the question or not but no I do not want kids and DEFINITALLY do not want to give birth to one! Plus there are too many homeless children on this earth we don't need to make more

14. wanderinggirl

babbyyyy clothessss omg babies in bowties babies in hats baby socks...

had to get that out.

But yeas I want kids, I'd give birth to one. The main reason I see myself potentially dating a guy in the future is for ease of having kids, but at this point if I'm gonna be honest I don't see myself with a guy. So me and future partner will have to figure it out.

I often find other kids annoying, but I'm really patient and I think I'd be a good parent. I really want ones of my own. It's not a dealbreaker if someone doesn't want them, but it'd make me happy. I'm already working on my dad jokes. :grin:

15. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

LITTLE HAPPY WHALE CLOTHES AND SAILOR HATS..... WITTLE TINY NAVY BABBY SHOES sigh dont even get me STARTED on nursery theme decorating!!!!

16. TomboyNeko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Never, ever, ever, ever.

NEVER

Gross.....

17. NatWheeled

Well first I'm not big on babies....they are cute but not as cute as people seem to believe. They coo n make silly noises to a slobbery poopy crying hungry baby. I like young children though. They're potty trained for starters n say funny stuff. You can play dolls or cars or Lego with em...I love Lego.

Do I want kids? Yes someday, but I'm in no hurry.
    Would I give birth to one? I don't think my body can handle it. The girl I'm currently into is unable to have kids so if we end up together that long we'd adopt.

We've discussed it, and as some here have stated, its not a difficult topic to bring up. She was showing me pictures of her godchildren and nieces, whom she adores so I simply asked if she wanted kids of her own. Luckily we're on the same page, both wanna do things in life before we consider having a family. She's such a big heart that I know we'd eventually adopt.

Hope this helps

BTW when I say I'm into her I mean I'm totally crazy bout her lol

18. thekillingmoon

No, having kids had never been in my plans and still isn't. I also worry that it limits my chances of meeting someone who's right for me cause it seems that most women want kids. I just don't have those maternal instincts in me. I don't think babies are cute, I usually think how annoying they are, always screaming and demanding attention. And child birth sounds like a nightmare. When I was in school, they showed us a video of child birth in health class. I wouldn't put myself through that even if someone paid me a large amount of money. Guess, I'll stick to having pets.

19. LastCenturian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love kids and I think I will probably have them sometime at least 10 years down the track. I'm not sure about pregnancy, though. I'm not too keen on having something growing in my tummy. I'd like to adopt at least one child. But whatever happens, happens. I also have four brothers and already a niece and nephew, so even if I don't end up having kids, I can always be the favourite aunty.

20. LovelyBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really like children (they actually can irritate the hell out of me) but I know Ill love my own.. because there mine <3
    I would like to- you know -have a lil money, a wife and done everything imaginable beforehand but after I wouldn't mind raising 2-3. I raised my baby sister and Ive worked with children so if you know how to discipline its not that bad.

I don't mind how I get them either, birth or adoption - I love the idea of both..