1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out, Today

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KinoQuard, Aug 22, 2014.

1. KinoQuard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, so I already posted something about advice on coming out as gay on this forum months ago, but now I'm officially ready to come out. My sister goes away to college tomorrow, and she's one of my best friends. It's going to be hard being away from her while school is in session, but I know it's something I can get through. She's straight, but she's probably the most LGBTQ+ loving straight person I know. Even still, it's really hard for me to tell her that I'm gay, and I honestly don't know why. I just feel like it will be really awkward and she'll just feel betrayed that I didn't tell her earlier. Same goes with all my friends. They are all so supportive of LGBTQ+ rights and they're friends with gay/bisexual people, but there's never a good time to come out. Anyway, I NEED to tell my sister face to face now, TODAY because she's leaving for college tomorrow, and there won't be any time. I mean, I could just text it to her but it'll be less sincere. I'm considering just going for a car ride with her and telling her, but that'll have to be REALLY soon. Like in 4 hours because we're going out to dinner tonight. Idk, can anyone help me...like I need to muster up the courage because I just feel like it'll be really really awk...Any help is appreciated. Thank you. :slight_smile:

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like she will be a good person to tell, but that still doesn't mean it's easy for you. If you have set your mind to it though, I would tell her sooner rather than later as the longer you leave it the more likely you are to talk yourself out of it.

When you tell her, get straight to the point. Don't build up to it with a long preamble as that can also put further doubt in your mind and make it harder to do. The sooner you say "I am gay" the easier it will be.

Good luck.. let us know how it goes.

3. ffxii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well then just tell her straight 'I'm gay' that might be the best way to go if you're really sure she's LGBT friendly. :slight_smile: I told my sister just like that years ago and it turned out pretty well. :grin: Good luck and update us on the situation. I wish her good luck in college and good luck to you for coming out! *hugs*

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I agree with the others. All I can say is good luck! You can do it, I just came out to my mom two says ago the same way. And I'm only 13 and I did it.
    Hope all goes well!(*hug*)

5. Candace

She sounds like the perfect candidate to come out to. I hope everything goes well and that you can keep us updated on what happens. I'm very eager to hear all about it :slight_smile:.

6. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    GO FORTH!!!! AND CONQUER!!!

Just make sure you are the one driving... You really don't want to surprise people while they are driving... :slight_smile:

7. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea, make sure you're not too focused on driving while you're telling her. just make sure to stop haha. although you sound like you have a great idea on how to approach this. it's not really easy to come out to a sibling haha that i know. but if she's really accepting then you have no reason to be afraid of it. i'm sure she'll be fine with it