1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ogniredol, Sep 11, 2008.

1. ogniredol

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Apologies if this is somewhere else on the forum but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on meeting people.

Since I first posted back in March I have come to except I am gay and I am now ready to meet people. I don't have any gay friends and although there are a few friends of friends I couldn't really open up to them. One of my friends suggested joining a gay group but there aren't any near me that would be of interest.

I have joined gaydar and finally had the nerve to put a photo on tonight. What do you think I should do next?

I'm a bit nervous of meeting somebody horrible.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Étoile

I just say go out and have fun. It doesn't have to be a gay group; you can meet great gay people anywhere. Join a non-gay related club, play some sports, join a charity, go to the mall. Anywhere there's people is a good place to meet people.:icon_wink Just play it safe especially over the Internet. You know, no inviting them to your house when you just met them, no giving out phone numbers, personal stuff like that.

3. EM68

I have a profile on #########. I have been emailing a guy for a few days. Last night he gave me his phone number so tonight I am going to call him. Good luck.

4. Miles D

:shrug:

...wish I knew...

5. EM68

I talked to him a little while ago and we are going to out to dinner sometime next week. I will let you guys know what happens.

6. gutsrie

online is probably the best way to do it. at least for me that is.

7. Noah

#######.com is free

8. riddlerno1

Have u tried ringing the lesbian and gay switchboard in your area as they would have details of any groups that are nearby. I know when i looked online for groups it was so hard to find as many dont have websites, but i was in the same position as you and now i have met some gay people through a social group which i have become friends with and i now i have gay friends who i can talk about my issues with.

#8 riddlerno1, Sep 12, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  9. Jim1454

I'm not sure what kind of website 'gaydar' is. If it's a dating site, you might want to also look to meet people just socially / as friends. In Toronto there is a gay social club that organizes different events.

I actually put an ad in the online classifieds 'craigslist' looking for other gay dads that wanted to have a beer or something. I got a few really great and sincere responses. One of the guys that responded is still a good friend today - 18 months later. A couple more I still chat with online once in a while. One I totally had a crush for - but that is another story. Someone else responded and directed me to the 'Gay Fathers of Toronto' support group, and that's how I met my bf!

So great things can happen when you put yourself 'out there'. Good luck!