1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting stung.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Undermine, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Undermine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recently acknowledged and accepted that I am bi. The first people I came out to were the wonderful LGBT friends I have who helped keep me reassured that I was doing the right thing by myself. I recently told some straight close friends who totally understand and are accepting, including my housemate. He's a real smart guy so there was nothing to it, he totally gets it. I also told my sister who is the same and all was going well but while I was talking to Mum, it came up in the conversation in a way that I could not avoid and I told her, otherwise I would be pretending.

She was not accepting. At first she laughed because she thought I was joking and when it sunk in that I wasn't, she looked horrified. She asking "you're not, you can't be" and asked really inappropriate questions about my sex life and then only accepting it on limited terms "at least you've never done this/that". She also told me that homosexuality is unnatural and that she "doesn't like the idea of guys doing it". I have been feeling really good about my acknowledgement and felt better and better each person I told and she immediately made me feel really uncomfortable about having told her and I really regret it. This upsets me because I don't understand why I should regret having anyone know when the it comes up.

Does any have advice for being stung in this way?

2. Edra

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It will take time for to be more accepting. Do try to remember that Society in general has shunned such things. Given a little time she will be far more accepting, it just takes a little time. To undo so many years of social conditioning it not easy.

3. Undermine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's not all. My sister seemed very accepting and understanding but she took at as free reign to disregard all my privacy and trawl through all my private messages. Like my personal space was a novelty or some kind of joke.

4. Undermine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're quite right and I do understand that. Because this is all very new for me there are a lot of new feelings to wear in and get the hang of.