1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by doglover44, Aug 23, 2014.

1. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I am thinking about coming out on Facebook by posting a Bisexual flag and saying in Bi anybody ever came out on Facebook ?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, no. But if you decide to, be very, very careful who can see it.

Good luck. (*hug*)

3. Given To Fly

I just changed my 'interested in' status quietly one day. Don't think anybody actually commented on it, and I didn't make it obvious otherwise. I'd already told the people I actually cared about though.

4. Candace

If it makes you feel better and you feel confident about it, then do it! Surprisingly enough, there probably won't be as many people commenting or asking you about it than you think. Good luck with all of that! :slight_smile:

5. Dakeli27

I want to come out to as many people, as fast as possible, on the day before school,so I will be using facebook as well. What I haven't yet decided is to keep it short, or confront misconceptions. I'm leaning towards the short and sweet option myself.

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is safe for you do so than I would go for it. It is the easy way to do it for some people especially if your friends, close relatives or anyone else does not live close to your or you don't see them often so than you will find it more easier to do it online or even by phone. I am not good at personal conservations up front anyway unless I know the person really well or their a relative so that worked well for me. It also makes it so they can take it in and than respond without possibly give a irrational first minute reaction which may be uncomfortable for you if you did in person. So I would go for it as long as it is safe and comfortable for you.

7. RainbowMan

First off, no one can tell you how to come out - it's a journey that you have to undertake for yourself. If coming out on Facebook is what works for you, then great!

As for being careful who sees it, when I came out on Facebook I set it to friends only (no different than any other post that I make on Facebook). I really didn't care who saw it. I was slightly longer than the average Facebook post, but not overly so.

One word of experiential caution - I was out to most people that were very important to me prior to posting on Facebook. The night before, those that I wasn't out to that were really important to me (my siblings - we're spread out all over the country) got an email. All were very supportive.

8. I came out on Facebook. It's a good way to reach a lot of people at once and it takes away a lot of tension.

9. Randomcloud

I think it's fine, though if you have close family/friends who are sensitive you might wanna tell them personally first in case they feel like you didn't trust them enough to tell them directly?

10. Blossom85

I have interested in men and women, cause I didn't want to lie to myself anymore.. I have it hidden from everyone though so only I can see it.. One day when I am ready, I will just change so all can see..

Otherwise, in answer to the OP's question, I think as long as you have told your closest family and friends, then to reach extended family and other friends, it isn't a bad way to do it.

11. GrumpyMule

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have 'interested in men and women' too but as I've been in a straight relationship for a couple of years my colleagues don't know I'm bi (close friends and family do). Those who have come out on facebook, how did you do it? A big statement or more subtle?