1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help - Coming out to mom!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xMarizzlex, Aug 23, 2014.

1. xMarizzlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello!
    I'm a 17 and, two years ago, I realized that I might be a lesbian. Less than a year later, I realized that I had fallen in love with my long date best friend, who fortunately is now my girlfriend --- I was lucky in that, I guess.
    However, unlike my girlfriend, who has fully come out to all her family, I have not come out to anyone except 2 close friends.
    My main problem is that my girlfriend is a foreigner, living in Belgium, and I live in Portugal. She has visited me this year and I am currently putting money aside in order to go visit her next year. However, I would like to come out to my mom first, since I feel like if I am betraying her if I go to my gf's without telling her the truth. She thinks me and my girlfriend are still only best friends, but, to be honest, I believe that she suspects about our relationship, since she often jokes around that "we look like a lesbian couple". She has also told me that she would accept me, even if I was gay, since "it's my life".
    Any opinions or tips on what I should do? Should I tell her soon or wait?
    Also, thank you all for reading! :slight_smile:

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi and welcome to EC!

It sounds like your mom is accepting. It can be nerve wracking to come out, even if you know if the person you're coming out to will be accepting. So I think it's up to you.

Some people decide to write a letter. You can do that. Or you can just tell her face-to-face. But whatever you do, I advise you not to beat around the bush. Don't be afraid. Just go.

Good luck. (*hug*) And, have a good trip next year!

3. Dakeli27

You have a very good mother. I think you should come out to her as soon as you feel you have an opportunity. If you and your mother don't live really close, a letter might be best, but it doesn't sound like you'd have to do much explaining to her in a face-to-face conversation either.
    Welcome to EC, and I'd love to hear what you did when you come out to her!