1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to colleagues?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GrumpyMule, Aug 24, 2014.

1. GrumpyMule

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi,

I just stumbled across this forum, it looks like a good place to get some support :slight_smile:

I'm bisexual and have been quite comfortable with my sexuality since I was 15/16. I've a couple of relationships with men and a couple with women. I've been with my current boyfriend for 2 years (tomorrow actually!) I'm out as bi to my closest friends and family but my colleague and acquaintances don't know. This never used to be a problem but more recently I feel like I'm almost hiding something especially to my colleagues who I see nearly everyday. I'm sociable but kind of modest and although I don't want to shout about my sex life or sexuality, I feel almost dutiful to come out. I'm comfortable in my own skin but one thing I struggled with in my teens was not knowing anyone else similar to me and I guess I could have done but they were keeping their sexuality to themselves too?

Hmm so what is a good way to come out to colleagues without having to shout about it? Facebook seems my best option at the moment as I have them as friends on there but even then, what do I post?

Thanks for reading

GM x

2. wanderinggirl

I don't know how old you are or how liberal your workplace is.
    The first thing to look into is your company's discrimination policy. That way if things get ugly you know your job is safe.
    Then you have to decide if you want to tell one or two with whom you are very close with, but ask them to keep it discrete; or casually drop into conversations that you are queer and don't make a big deal out of it.
    But also, you don't have to come out. There is no obligation to anyone to come out! :slight_smile: So if you don't feel like it's holding you back form potential friendships or genuine interaction with coworkers, then by all means don't come out. Do what feels right.

Facebook is ok, but to be honest I'm not a fan of coming out on there, but that's just me and a) I'm not out to all my family and stuff, and b) I don't like that i can't take things back for future employment and stuff. But if it feels right for you, it could be a good way to come out casually.

3. mangotree

So, you want to come out to help others to become comfortable about their own sexualities?
    Do you have suspicions about a colleague that looks like they're struggling with it a bit?

Perhaps just "Like" a few gay icons or some pride / marriage equality pages on facebook. At least then it's not a blatant "look at me" moment.

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just mention to one of your colleagues that you like a certain woman celebrity or join in when they bring such things up. Its more natural that way.