1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need someones opinion about my situation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by idrkwtd, Aug 24, 2014.

1. idrkwtd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never known for sure that I'm gay until a few months ago. Now I'm thinking of how I should come out to my family and other people (I know I shouldn't come out until I'm ready to and I won't, I'm not actually thinking of coming out at a determinate time and I dont plan it to be too soon).

For me it was very easy to accept that I am gay and now I don't care about my sexuality more than I did when I didn't know I was. I read online about coming out to other people, but the approach doesn't seem right for me. Other straight people don't go their parents and say "Mom, dad, I have to tell you ......, I'm straight" and I doesn't feel right to me that I have to do that to let my parents know that I am homosexual. I don't act straight in front of anybody and don't behave differently from how I would at ANY other circumstance or when I am alone. I don't know if my friends and family suspect that I'm gay and I think that if the question arises I would probably say 'yes, I am' (if the circumstances aren't bad), because I don't mind other people knowing. And I don't think anything would change if everyone knew that I am except the fact that they know and the behaviour of some towards me.

I need somebody's opinion about my future approach on the matter of coming out because I don't seem to find a right way to do it.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 12:47 AM ----------

I forgot to say that I'm 16 years old.

2. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I understand that it seems unfair that we are expected to announce our sexuality, but straight people face no such burden. But society has a default mentality that people are straight unless otherwise noted. At 16 there is no great hurry to come out. There is also no need for a dramatic smashing of the closet. If you are reasonably sure that your parents will be able to accept it without recriminations or hysteria, then I think you should consider making an announcement to them. You don't have to make a grand announcement to the world-unless you decide that you want to at some future time. I wish you good luck and a long happy life.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you are ready to do so, or if they bring up the subject and you are comfortable with talking about it, just talk to them about how you feel, your lack of attraction to girls, and your attraction to other boys. You don't have to label yourself as "gay", as though you buy into all the stereotypes that might invoke in their heads; just tell them how you enjoy being with another guy and think that you will eventually want to find one you love and can spend your life with happily as a family, and that you hope that when you do, they will accept him into the family and treat him with respect and the love they show for you.