1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some advice about school. [not a LGBT issue]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Sep 12, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

Okayso, today i had an 8.30class. My school is really far away, so i need to be up really early. The night before, i had to work. So i got to bed last night at 1-1.30am, and i had to wake up at 6 am. i need my sleep. im the type of person who if i have less that 6 and a half/7 hours i cant function at all.

So today we had a basic routing lecture, and i was in the back and i was continually nodding in an out of consciousness. I heard everything he said, got about a page of notes but some stuff i REALLY didnt understand.

I wanna email the teacher and explain, but im worried that he wont go over it with me because of my half-asleep actions during the class. I feel so embarrassed and stressed cause for the first time, i really am concerned about doing well in school. It may sound totally nerdy, but im almost crying atm. Im really freaked.

Should i talk to my teacher, or should i ask someone else for help instead? Im just worried that he wont re-explain it, because i was so tired/half asleep.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, let's tackle the cause before we treat the symptom.

* You had to work late, and not get to bed until 1:30.
    * You have to get up at 6am for class.
    * You need 6-7 hours of sleep to function.

One of these three things has to change. I'm assuming #3 can't, unless you can nap a lot in the afternoons or something. That means either you change your work schedule, or you change your class schedule. And don't say "I can't" - you don't have a choice here. You have to. Or else risk failing the class and/or losing your job altogether.

Now the symptom. Yes, talk to your teacher. If your teacher has "office hours", go see him then. Say you had to work really late the night before, you made to class, but just were too exhausted to understand everything. Do go in prepared. Try to figure out precisely what you do know, and what you don't know. So when you go in, you can just say "I understand X and Y, but Z has me totally stumped." After he helps you out, explain that you're changing your schedule so this won't happen again.

Then, change your schedule so this won't happen again. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Ben

Ben

Your teacher will understand. He will be totally happy to help.

You could try changing your work hours to a bit earlier to avoid this situation reappearing...

:slight_smile:

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the 2 suggestions before mine but if you're nervous or afraid of approaching your teacher maybe you can see if a friend (or fellow student) can explain to you what happened in the class. You obviously can't change how many hours of sleep you need. And you can't change the time school is -- most classes are set in stone unless you can somehow rearrange your schedule. My suggestion to you is changing your work hours. Maybe you can work less? Or if that's not the case not work so late? Make up for time on the weekends when you don't have class to worry about...

5. MusicIsLife

Thanks guys :] Im gonna talk to my work manager to see if i can work a few days on the weekend, and not work so late on weekdays. I'll either email my teacher and explain, or just ask a classmate, i havent decided yet.

6. SlickyPants

I'm not sure how much time after school/before work you have but another possible option, as Lexington alluded to, is to take a long nap if you can manage after. It may compliment the 4-5 hour sleep-time later and make you more alert and awake in school.