1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Year long closeted relationship

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Brad333, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Brad333

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost a year now. It all started when we were best friends, we could both feel an attraction for each other but we never said anything. I'm a very go with the flow type of person so he knew he would have to make the move. And he did...one day I went to his house to hang out and he answered the door in his underwear. I didn't say anything about it, then when we went to his room he pulled me into bed with him and we just cuddled. And here we are now a year later. We are very much in love and have a strong relationship. But no one knows. We are still "best friends" to our friends, family and coworkers. (We work at the same place) we haven't talked about it much but we know the only way for this to be long term and easy is to come out eventually. Some of our friends have suspected us of being in a relationship but I'm good at talking them down. I think our friends would be okay with it, I think my parents would, but he thinks his family would go crazy on him, and I think he's right. Do you think the best way to come out would be to wait until we are established and successful and don't need our parents support anymore? Which will be a couple years when we graduate college.

2. tyler h

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Once you're comfortable enough, I think it would be a good idea to come out to a few close friends. It makes things easier for you to tell your families once you have an established group of people who support you. Not to mention, if they're already guessing at it, they should be in the right mindset to accept you. I think they'd be happy for you. And I think it would be a good idea to talk to your boyfriend about telling your friends, to see how he feels as well.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you friends don't chat with his parents much - and most don't - you can probably come out to them. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    maybe wait to tell parents if you think the reaction will be bad , but with friends that probably have an idea already, you would feel so much more free and happy being able to be yourselves in front of them if you are pretty sure they are going to be fine with it then go for it! next time they ask just tell them the truth.

5. RedFireFly

May the odds be ever in your favor!!

6. Kj802

I think that like you said the best thing you can't do is wait until you are both financially independent, then if something with his parents goes wrong, you can still live life.
    Just make sure you're both ready to come out about it.
    Good luck!!!