1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new city, new start?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BananaB, Aug 27, 2014.

1. BananaB

Out Status:
    A few people
    Since posting here a while backabout coming out as not 100% straight to my best friend I've unfortunately been unable to do so to anyone else yet. I've been so busy these past few months its made even thinking about it neigh on impossible. I'm moving to Spain though next week and was wondering if anyone here is from there? Barcelona specifically. Is it a good place to be gay? With this being a new city where I know no one I feel it'd be a good place for me to really experiment openly with my sexuality and figure out who I am. I think a large part of me staying so closeted where I am now is due to knowing that I knew so many people. If that makes sense.

2. King

I have been to Barcelona recently and the 'gay area' (don't know if it has a name) seemed really good. It is a very accepting city as a whole and you should have be alright there.

Why not be gay from the start there? As you said you won't know anyone and there is no way parents can know etc.

3. BananaB

Out Status:
    A few people
    That's what I was thinking. I'd never go to a gay bar etc at home, there'd always be someone I knew or a friend of a friend sort of thing and before I'd finished my first drink everyone would know. There I have the opportunity to be anonymous. I don't have to worry about bumping into someone I know. It's still nerve wrecking though.

4. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know nothing about Barcelona, but...
    You are excited to be moving because you presently know so many people from whom you have kept your true identity hidden. Now you will be in a place where you will know hardly anyone. I hope you are able to meet and make friends with new people easily. I know that I don't do that easily. I don't think I would have the guts to pull up stakes and start a new life, so I applaud your courage and wish you well. One word advice is "Don't burn any bridges!"

5. Really

6. AAASAS

Spain is pretty liberal, it's comparable to Canada and Northern Europe... minus some racism.

It definately miles ahead of the U.S. Which for some strange reason is used as the liberal benchmark for the world when I see it as a sort of oppressed society.