1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Young to Come Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lgbtqenjolras, Aug 27, 2014.

1. lgbtqenjolras

I'm positive I'm pansexual. I've known for about a year now. The thing is, I'm only 13 (in 8th grade). I've been bullied online inside of the community, because they said I was "too young to know". Well, I do know.

I've came out to a small group of girls at camp. I had only know them for a day, which somehow made me trust them more????? And one of them came out as pan-curious, so I came out as pan-curious too. That went fine, we're all still friends. However, I'm really scared to come out at school. Only one person in my grade is out, a gay boy named Nick (he's the best). I'm scared that my friends won't be accepting. I know if they're not I should just cut them out of my life, but I've known them for years and it's a pain in the ass to get new friends in middle school.

Any advice would be great! I really need something right now.

2. Ryujin

If you are absolutely certain that that is how you are, then I see know reason why you shouldn't come out.
    No bias or anything.... :grin:

Make sure you tell people who you tink are going to be supportive.
    If you need help about it, you can come to me any time, I understand what you're going through, I'm sorta in that situation myself, I just took a leap and dived in :grin:

---------- Post added 28th Aug 2014 at 03:23 AM ----------

Awesome name by the way! I've been watching a lot of Doctor Who recently, it's awesome isn't it:grin:

3. the lone wolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People might be a little more skeptical when you tell them, but if you're positive that it's who you are, I do not see another issue with it.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

You're never too young to know. It's funny how people tell teens they are too young to know, but never heterosexual teens; hell, parents even assume heterosexuality on infants.
    Come out on your own terms.

5. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You arent too young to know. That is just an excuse heterosexuals use to tell kids our age that they dont know. if you are completely sure, then go on ahead and go for it. as for school, i just took a leap of faith, hoping that they would trust me, and accept it. when u come out, people say hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. i hoped for the best, tried to see the good in everyone, and got a few friends that i knew would be supportive about it to fall back on in case things went sour. in the end, i did lose a friend as of right now, but in a way, i had already lost her when i found out. i changed a little, with knowlege. and that change was just to much for her. but if youre ready, take a leap, and go for it. I know that it seems tough, but u can do it. i know you can. if you ever want any help, be sure to look me up sometime.

6. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get it all the time. Here's an idea that I'm going to steal (can't remember where I got it.)

Them: you're too young to know you're sexuality
    Me: I don't see how. I mean, I was born this way.
    Them: you can't be born that way.
    Me: then I'm going to assume you're gay.
    Them: what?!
    Me: because if you were born straight, you'd know that you can't choose who you are.

Just don't listen. They're probably just jealous of you're fabulousness XD

7. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there! Fellow youngster here. :thumbsup:

If you're scared of your friends not being accepting, but still cherish their friendship, you could simply not come out to them? Not that I'm encouraging hiding who you are or whatnot, it's just an option you might want to consider. Especially since you mentioned that you're "really scared" to come out at school. If you don't feel safe or aren't comfortable, then don't come out.

8. Splenda

Hi OP, I'm just going to give my 2 cents here:

I came out to my parents as gay at 14 as I had only developed deep crushes on girls so far in my life and I just knew inside that I was incredibly attracted to femininity but repelled by masculinity. Before I told them, I was felt like finally coming to terms with my sexual identity and feeling comfortable with it.

Hopefully your parents are different but telling them that early turned out to be a massive mistake for me because they just couldn't take what I was saying seriously :bang: and thought I was just confused/looking for attention because they saw sexual orientation as an "adult thing" where you only know for sure when you're much older.

Being told that you don't know your own sexuality really hurts at any age but especially when you're just a teenager. Their inability to believe what I was saying just pushed me back into the closet and ultimately made me force myself years later into two relationships with guys where I wasn't attracted to them yet I was trying desperately to "make myself bisexual" because I felt that they would never accept my attraction to women.

Needless to say, forcing myself to be bisexual failed miserably and just caused a massive mess for both me and my boyfriend because I dearly loved him to pieces but I was torturing myself by doing sexual stuff with him but not actually enjoying it and feeling so empty/broken in the process.

Maybe your situation is different but if I were to redo things, I'd have come out to friends in my mid teens and to my family in my late teens/early twenties. Every family/friend circle is different so your mileage may vary!

9. Kewl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You are not too young to come out at all. Many LGBTQ+ people realize there orientation at around your age. Also combing out sooner that later will allow you to hopefully live happier for the rest of your life. Also about the friend thing. While I understand your worries about loosing your friends (I am nervous about the same thing) you could use an opportunity to educate them so not only do you keep your friends but you make them lose a bias and if you can't you did your best. Hope this helps.

10. CongoColorado

You're not too young. If you're too young, then you should be considered Asexual or unaffiliated, but no, if you feel positive of your sexual orientation, then come out if you want to. Stay safe and be happy! :slight_smile:

11. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Romantic attraction can be observed from an early age, even in infants. Shown sometimes through the people they get anxious around.

Sexual attraction is usually found out once a person hits puberty, since the hormones related to sexual stimulation are beginning to enter the body. You'll be able to start seeing signs of who you're attracted to sexually at this age, and it will usually co-side with your romantic attraction (not always though, bare that in mind).

So in essence, the people who try and convince you that early teens are too young to know what their orientation is, have no idea what they're talking about.

12. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no good or bad time to come out, you can't be to young or old either I think that you know yourself your best so if you feel like coming out then do it but if you want to wait then that's your choice. Your in no hurry.