1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Year, New Identity?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Najlen, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Najlen

I sort of want to be out this year. But.

Pros:
    We have an active GSA, of which I am a member, that is actually fairly successful at preventing the worst of the bullying; we don't have a lot of it against LGBT people.
    I am already out to a few people, and I have a support system in the GSA + a lot of bi friends.
    I don't like hiding, especially from my closest friends. (Only one person I'm really close to knows)
    If my friends are ok, they will defend me if they have to. The school is tiny and close knit, and if you come after someone, all of their friends will come after you. This happened on a school wide scale when some guy broke up with his girlfriend and started dating someone he had just met. This could also work against me quite easily.
    There were a few girl x girl couples openly dating last year, and only a few people gave a shit.

Cons: A few of my closer friends were among the people who gave a shit.
    I am not really prepared to cut them out of my life, if it were to come to that.
    My school is tiny, only about 600 people. Rumors spread fast, and the one of my friends is a fairly trusted source of rumors. I would be unable to do anything if things got bad.
    Most of the school only tolerates the GSA, and listens to us because they kind of have to.
    My dad wants me to keep hiding for now. I don't like this, but in some ways, he is right.
    One of my friends could potentially be dangerous. Or she could be fine. It is hard to say, she has been a bit of a hypocrite about LGBT people in the past. (says we are sinful and wrong, says she wishes she could tear up GSA's love is love posters, then accepts multiple bisexual girls in my spanish class)

What do you think? I don't know if it is a good time or place, but I don't want to hide anymore. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Dakeli27

I'm starting sophomore year in a few days, and it'll be the first year in the high school.. I'm getting some last-minute doubts, but I'm going to go ahead and come out, because opportunities to more or less start anew are rare. I think in nearly any school, and whenever you came out, you'd have to face rumors and people acting maliciously, so don't let that prevent you from taking this opportunity. As for your friend, as cliche as it is, if they're a true friend, they'll accept you, or at least not ostracize you because of it. They might not understand and might give you some shit about it, but they'll either stat with you or they'd leave regardless of when you told them.