1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Family...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by VexTaylor, Sep 13, 2008.

1. VexTaylor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been thinking a lot about it lately and I have wanted to tell my dad at the very least, but I got to thinking more about what that would mean and everything. I was thinking of really just telling him that I'm confused about my orientation and not really defining what I was, bi or gay, as I really am not sure myself. Really just looking for some input as to what others think about that, whether its a good idea to say just that I'm confused or should I wait until I know for sure?

I'm almost convinced that he already knows that something is up, but I can't be positive. As a family we have talked about the whole gay thing before and both of my parents have said that it would be ok if I was and that they would still love me so I'm not concerned about getting kicked out or anything else of the sort.

Just looking for opinions on what you think I should do really :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. biisme

You could tell him just what you said. If you know that your parents are accepting then you can tel them that you're not straight. You can say "I may be bi, or I may be gay, I'm not sure. But, what i am sure about is that I'm not straight."

3. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Knowing your orientation for sure would be a bonus of sorts, but having a very open sort of relationship with your parents, it may not matter how decided you are about yourself. In fact, coming out to them as unsure is inviting them to join you on your journey of self-discovery, which I'm sure would make them feel both trusted and included by you in one of the tougher times of your life.

When it comes down to it, it's all up to you weather you decide to let them know what you (don't) know. Deciding, let alone accepting, that you're not straight can be a very lengthy process, in the order of years. I'd say congratulations to you coming out to your parents at this stage, no matter how sure or unsure you are: it's saying something about the strength of your relationship with them. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I would agree with this. If your parents were homophobic and bigoted, I wouldn't have the same reply but since they have already said they would love you no matter what ,I would go with Biisme's suggestion.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they've both said it would be OK if you were, they almost certainly suspect or already know.

Under ordinary circumstances, if you are unsure and have parents who are strongly religious, it can be better to wait until you have a firmer idea yourself, because telling very religious parents you're "bi" or "questioning" gives them something to cling to (the idea that "it's a phase" or "you're not totally gay") that can actually prolong the time it takes for them to accept you.

But in this case, you may tell them and have them say "we've known for years"... but in any case, I'm sure they'll be fine with it.

6. nickmc

I agree with what's been said above. Tell them as long as you think that your parents will help you (or at least let you discover yourself) and won't try to change you.

Best of luck- telling your parents is hard (I know- its my current goal :slight_smile:)

7. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I couldn't say it better myself. victor is right here.