1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When you just can't form the words..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheStormInside, Aug 28, 2014.

1. TheStormInside

I've been wanting to work toward coming out to more of my friends. So far I've only verbally come out to one friend, the other I mostly talk to online so I came out to him through Facebook, which was still difficult but significantly less so. I guess I have a couple of questions for those of you who have been through this already.

1. Do you have any suggestions on how to make this a little easier? When I came out to my friend SC I literally could not get the words out, and she ended up guessing what was going on with me, which I confirmed for her. My biggest fear when coming out to the next friend on my "list," AC, is not even that she'll react badly but that I won't be able to speak. With SC I had written a short letter that I had intended to give her as a backup if I couldn't make myself say the words, but in the moment I was so stressed and focused on trying to speak that I didn't even think to give it to her. I know I can come out to people through text, but if possible I prefer to do so in person. It just feels more intimate, and more rewarding, that way.

2. How comfortable with yourself were you when you came out? I am still getting used to the idea that I am (most likely) gay. I have days where I am totally confident in my orientation, and then days where I'm wrought with self doubt, shame, denial. My therapist tells me that coming out will probably help with some of these feelings, but at the same time the idea that I'm gay is still very surreal for me. I'm not sure if I'm totally ready to tell more people, but then, I'm also not sure if I will ever be ready. I also wonder if waiting to become more comfortable will help me deal better with the issue in my previous question, that it will be easier to speak about it? Or is the only way to conquer this to dive in and do it?

2. Ryujin

1. I had the same issue when coming out the first time, like, saying it was so difficult that I couldn't do it. I think just taking a deep breath and forcing yourself to say it, perhaps thinking about something else, is the best way to do it.

2. I was more comfortable then than I am now, as I'm now constantly unsure and stuff. I understand that it does feel surreal. Maybe that's something that will just pass with time, for both of us :grin:

3. Really

Not that I've done it but I imagine it might be slightly easier if it's part of the conversation naturally. So, instead if bringing up the topic cold, you could create an opportunity by asking your friend about their bf/gf or if they've gone on any dates recently and then when they ask you you then explain how you've been thinking that you don't prefer guys. (Or words to that effect depending on how definitive you want to be.)

While they're talking, it might give you a chance to buck up your courage (hands on hips, legs akimbo) and then say your piece. Peace?

I'd be interested to know how you make out when you do do it. However you do it.

4. TheStormInside

Goldenarrow-
    How did you force yourself to say it? I've managed to force myself to type it by staring at the screen, thinking, staring, thinking, typing it in, staring some more, thinking, (you get the idea) and finally hitting "send" and closing my eyes. I'm not sure I'll have the same time liberty while in a conversation with someone :icon_redf .

Are you still glad that you came out even though you're more uncertain about yourself now?

Really-
    That's not a bad idea, I'm not sure if I can make myself do it that way though. I had messaged SC beforehand letting her know I needed to talk about something, so I knew she'd eventually ask me what was up and I'd have to talk. I may have to do the same with AC, but I'm not sure.

I'm starting to feel like maybe I'm just not quite ready to talk about this with more people, if I feel so much apprehension that I'm going to go mute. I'm not sure. Sometimes I just wish they already knew and it was common knowledge. Other times I just want to run and hide.

5. Really

Definitely, you need to be ready for this. And I'm sure you will be in time. I can't remember if you have a gf. If you do, would you be comfortable practicing with her? Role playing? She could play the part of your friends and/or family members. You could try different ways of saying it and she could surprise you with different reactions. It won't be like the real thing but maybe just saying it over and over, in different ways, could minimize the enormity of the real thing.
    (I've got no real idea what I'm talking about, mind you.)

6. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Well, I find it easier to start with people that you trust but can cut from you life if you need, then strangers and people that you don't really talk to a lot, then (eventually) family. Also, running the scenario through your head with different outcomes. I have never actually had to flat out tell someone that I'm a lesbian until the right conversation came up. For example I was in citizenship and two girls were teasing me about this autistic kid that likes me and I just said to them "well it's never gonna happen because I'm a lesbian!" Without thinking about it or awkwardness. Maybe try to start a conversation up and slowly progress to the topic so that it's not just out of the blue, which makes stuff awkward. Ooh, and make sure to have a few gay related jokes to make the situation lighter. Worked brilliantly for me coming out to my 3 best friends.

2. I was partly comfortable, though it seemed a little surreal, things have got a lot better since I came out, and now I'm fully accepting of it. I don't think you can be comfortable without telling people, because then you'll feel like you're living a lie which in turn provokes more feelings of denial. Those feelings are stuck in the closet with you and they can't physically go until you open those doors and let them free :slight_smile: we're all here for you no matter what. Good luck!

7. Ryujin

Really's idea is probably a better one for you to do but in response to your question, it's something I do with a lot of things when I reach the point of not being able to stand it I say to myself "Fuck it" and just say it. I'm not really sure how to explain it, like you just stop worrying. I know that probably makes no sense, but it's pretty much all I've got sorry.

8. TheStormInside

Really-
    Unfortunately I don't have a girlfriend, but that is a very good suggestion. My friend SC offered to help me out if I needed someone to be there with me when I come out to our other friends, or if I wanted to practice, or whatever. I am not sure if I feel comfortable roleplaying with her or not, but if I decide not maybe I can try it with my therapist instead.

RainbowLioness-
    Yeah, my current plan is to tell friends first, there are a couple more I want to tell individually, then there are a few I likely will tell in a group. After that it's fine to me if the knowledge sort of disseminates, so long as it doesn't reach my family. Family will be more difficult and that's further down the road for me.

I think because of my age I do need to have a little bit of a "talk" with people who know me well rather than just letting it slip out like that, though I'm glad that worked for you. People don't really expect a someone they've known for years to come out of the closet at age 31 (well, not unless I'm totally oblivious and they've all been sitting around waiting for it, haha, but I don't think that's the case). With people I know less well I will probably try your way, though, because I obviously don't want to have a sit down with every acquaintance I've ever made and mentioning it casually will take some of the pressure off both of us.

You make very good points about being in the closet and denial. Thanks for expressing that because it's struck a chord with me. Part of why I'm pushing myself out now is that I feel if I don't do so soon I'm going to slam and bar that closet door all over again. I can feel myself going into denial mode even as I'm admiring all the beautiful women I see around me :icon_redf .

goldenarrow-
    That's ok, thanks for trying to explain, and I think I get what you're saying as "fuck it" kind of is the attitude I've had when I've managed to hit "send" on those messages. It's a little bit of "oh screw it" and a little bit of "I have to do this, might as well get it over with."

9. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont plan on coming out yet, but i would like to know this too! when coming out to people ive known online ive had to stare at it for ages n then totally have a heart attack after i send n cringe untill they answer! but yeah ive somehow bought up that kinda conversation on it first n then told them how i like girls once the convo of partners or lgbt is already in flow. i would need to have some dutch courage first though. i can only imagine how hard it must be to get the words out it probably gets easier with each person you tell.

10. Really

Too bad there isn't something like a "coming out buddy". We could be it for eachother. Just sit quietly in the corner while you tell your person/people. Someone who's totally on your side but not known by them. Hopefully the presence of the buddy would deter them from having too bad of an initial reaction. And then take you out for a beer/fro-yo afterwards.
    Hmm. Maybe I should start a business. "Closet Buddies R Us". (If anyone does this, I get a cut.)

11. TheStormInside

xxemilyxx-
    That's exactly how it was for me when I told my friend online. Hit "send" and brace for impact :lol: . Of course he was totally cool with it, which I knew he would be, but it's still totally terrifying. I mentioned this to SC and she made a really good point, that of course it's scary because it's hard to tell people something that you are uncomfortable with about yourself. How did you get the conversation going so it would head in that direction?

Really-
    That's kind of a funny idea, haha. I feel like it's like having a coming out bouncer or something, someone who will stare menacingly from the corner and eject those with bad responses :lol:.

SC did offer to come with me if I wanted her to, but when I have my one on one talks I think it's better I do it on my own. When I come out to the bigger group I'll definitely want her there, though. I think having someone for right before and right after you come out is definitely a good idea, so they can sort of talk you up into doing it, and then talk you down afterwards. :slight_smile:

12. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well with one of the friends i came out to online, we started talking about her ex bf and that went onto her talking about a guy she thought was hot atm and i said in response that men arent my expertise as im into women.

another friend was talking about a girl he liked and he said to me something like " go look her up trust me even you would like her" and i laughed n was like more like especially me lol and told him im only into women anyway. I guess now writing these things to you i have managed to come out by getting them to talk about men or women they like and then i felt easier to say i was into women. also i get in this HUGE panic my heart races like mad even when i know the person is TOTALLY LGBT friendly i still find it really hard but after it feels so good once you get that good response from them, but like you irl i think it is ALOT harder and even when ive try say it like in my head i keep repeating it trying to make the next step actually saying it out loud to them but i cant force myself to make any words come out.

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2014 at 07:03 PM ----------

plus i love the idea of a coming out buddy! hahahha ( far less likely to happen ) but i wish i could just clone myself and force my clone to go and come out for me, while i shake in the corner waiting for her to come back n tell me how they reacted to " me" coming out.

13. TheStormInside

Those are good ideas, thanks! Unfortunately far as I know with this friend there's no one she likes right now. She's always been very "close to the chest" when it comes to talking about things like that. She is a good person to confide in though and she's pro LGBT so that's why she's next on the list. She's going to a wedding of a friend of hers soon, so maybe if we can get onto wedding topics that can eventually get to guys.. and, ahem, girls.

I am able to say "I'm gay" outloud when I'm alone. It's saying it to someone else that seems impossible. Part of the problem is I am fairly sure but not 100%, so it may end up being "I think I may be gay" or "I like girls" rather than the absolute statement. But, lucky me, I asked my friend SC if she could help me prep for meeting with AC, and she said yes. So I will have to try to practice with her and see how that goes :slight_smile: .

Part of the reason I've decided to come out to AC while I'm still a little uncertain is that she's a good person to talk through feelings with. The other reason is that SC is going through a really difficult time herself right now, so having another person to talk to and lean on would be good so I am not putting so much on her.

14. Really

Sounds like things are moving in a positive direction. Good going!

15. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wedding topic will be a perfect gateway into you telling her! :slight_smile: it is easier to say " i like girls" rather then directly saying " im gay" but that is why i say it and then after ive said " i like girls" i then go onto then talk about me being gay like i usually ask if they suspected me to be gay so that again, im making sure it is clear i am lol. Well done with moving forward with everything though and im sure you will be perfectly fine! and much happier and relieved once you have told another of your friends.

16. TheStormInside

This weekend I am going to be talked out. Going to practice with SC this evening, and then tomorrow afternoon I "scheduled" a walk and chat with AC. :icon_eek: .

(You can do it, Storm! You can do it!)

17. Ryujin

Good luck! Let it go! (sorry, I couldn't help myself :grin:)

18. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

*cheers from afar* we are all here on EC for you to talk to after! you got this sorted, and you sure can do it! :slight_smile:

19. TheStormInside

I did it! I managed to say the words and everything. She was absolutely cool. I expected a lot of awkwardness, but she was really chill and (as I knew she would be) was fine with it. We talked a bit about it after that, and then I got her onto a guy she's been crushing on a bit too :lol: . Last time I did this I felt discomfort and some regret, maybe because I wasn't able to say "I think I'm gay" myself. Now I feel a huge relief. Hopefully it lasts. (!) (Also, what is with this dancing banana? It expresses my joy, but it is so bizarre!)

20. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wooohoooo! congrats! well happy for you! was it as hard to get the words out as you thought, how did you bring it up in the end ? xD. also i found with the friend i came out too online before when she talked about men i didnt really want to go with the conversation being that she didnt know i was gay but once she knew i felt better about talking about her male crushes with her too!

haha ikr lets all go bannanas! (!) maybe they should add other dancing fruit to make it a real party! (!) (!)