1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the point?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lesbochick87, Aug 28, 2014.

1. lesbochick87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am trying to figure out what's of everything :bang:
    such as Love?
    Faith?
    and Life in general?

I came out about a month ago and every since my life has changed people say it is the scarcest thing you every do and the best thing you every do well in my experience it was the worst and stupidest thing I could have done because every since then I have been depressed and left questioning everything even the things I have been certain of all my life ( My Faith in God)

PEASE HELP!!!!! :bang: :bang::bang::bang:

2. Kj802

Hey,
    I am assuming your coming out didn't go to well?
    And as for your faith in God, are you not sure he exists or are you confused as to whether it is ok with him to be lgbt?
    (*hug*)

3. Splenda

Yes being gay can hard but here are some ways it had a positive influence on my life:

-I learned what it felt like to be truly accepted for who I am
    -I learned to accept myself as I am and not constantly force myself into copying the behavior of others
    -Coming out has made me feel much closer to my family despite the fact that I had always feared they were homophobic
    -Coming out has made me feel freer and happier than I have ever been
    -Being gay has opened my eyes to how fragile human beings are and how much we can be hurt by the careless words and actions of others.
    -I want to help others and be a positive influence for them
    -I want the world to be a better place for other LGBT people and I can feel so much understanding for their struggles
    -Being gay has made me grow immensely as a human being
    -As a woman I how what a woman needs to be happy and I'd love to be able to make another woman feel like she is the most beautiful girl in the world.
    -As a gay christian I feel like my body and soul were specifically designed to love another woman.
    -I want to change the attitudes and perceptions homophobic people have of us

4. lesbochick87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    First let me start out by saying Thank for the advice.

Kj- I know God exist and I know that he loves me and yes I do wonder why I have these feeling and desires with what it says in the bible 1 Corinthians 6:9-11New International Version (NIV)

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor those who practice homosexuality 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Splenda- How do handle being gay and being a Christian HELP me please
    I need advice I have a KIK if you have one please send me a message pooh8726
    if not please continue to message me here

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Hi. I'm not Splenda, but I'm another LGBTQ Christian and I thought I could give you an explanation of why being queer is in line with my Christian beliefs.

First of all, we have to consider some of the other old testament laws of God. Read Deuteronomy 22:12 for example. The exact passage will vary depending on which Bible you have. In summary God commands us to sew tassels in to our clothing. This is under the pretext of laws to follow in order to inherit the kingdom of God. What about Exodus 22: 18. We as followers of God shouldn't allow a sorceress to live. So what does this mean, the next time I see a Wiccan I have to kill them? What about Deuteronomy 22:11-12? Are we truly meant to cut a woman's hand off if she touches a mans testicles? Well heres the thing.

If you read some of these laws, you might wonder why Christians don't follow them. That's because Paul decided they don't matter. If you read Galatians, you'll see that he says a variety of sacred laws to the Jewish people are no longer required for a Gentile to convert to Christianity, including circumcision.

Furthermore, which do you think was the sin of Sodom? Was it that some of the people had gay sex, or was it that the people were wicked and uncharitable and when God sent angels to them they "forced themselves upon them". The Bible specifically cites the last part to be the reason. Read Ezekiel 16:49 if you want to see exactly what was written to be the Sin of Sodom. The people there were awful. I forget the exact point, but God says that if they found just one person who was good in Sodom, the city would be spared. I think we both know how that turned out.

Also, do you think the sin of Onan was gay sex? Because it wasn't, what he did wrong was pulling out. And if you ask me, it was mostly a sin for the sole reason that he was directly disobeying a direct order from God.

In the end, I think what really matters is that if you read the entire New Testament, as far as I can find Jesus doesn't mention homosexuality as a sin. Furthermore, he specifically says that there are two commandments greater than the rest. The first is "to Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these". This is Mark 12: 28-31 if I recall correctly.

Now I ask you, is telling someone they can't get married because of a thousands year old law that we don't have to follow anymore loving your neighbor? Did Jesus say to love your neighbor as long as they are cisgendered and straight? No.

Edit: Forgot one important thing. The reason people ignore all the actual scriptural evidence and just continue to say being gay is wrong is because they haven't really read the Bible much on their own. They just hear a couple of passages from their pastor and think that gives them carte blanche to act like a complete jerk all the time. Also, read just a few pages of the new testament, especially John. The New Testament centers around God's love and forgiveness. Why can't "religious" homophobes love and forgive us?

6. Splenda

OP always remember that whether or not you want religion in your life is completely up to you. While you can't change your sexual orientation you are always completely free to change your beliefs/lack of beliefs to what ever makes you feel more happy and comfortable with instead and the people in your life should respect that.

Speaking from my own experiences as a gay christian:

- I believe that the reasons why certain Christians reject homosexuality is because of the King James version of the Bible. It is the first time that homophobia appears in the translations. While same sex behavior has always existed in every society in our human history. The term 'homosexuality' was only coined in the late 19th century.
    - Thankfully not all denominations are homophobic, as time goes on more and more churches are actually becoming extremely progressive eg. the United Church of Christ who sponsored the "Gay Games"
    - I believe that homophobia within the church goes directly against the commandment to "love thy neighbor". If you judge people, you have no time to love them.
    - Christians believe that Jesus spent his time around the poor, sick and those society had outcast. Therefore it seems infeasible for people to ever twist a message of love like that to justify hate towards a group of people.
    - I believe it would be wrong for me to have sex with a man whom I can never truly love romantically rather than simply making love to a woman whom I do love romantically.
    - (While this last one may be seen as controversial, Oscar Wilde famously referred to it as "the love that dares not speak its name" in his 1895 trial). I believe that the story of David and Jonathan in the book of Samuel is an extremely loving gay relationship between two men and the covenant they entered into together makes a good theological argument against any Christians who oppose gay marriage.

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2014 at 11:57 AM ----------

Here is a quick synopsis of that particular interpretation of David and Jonathan

[YOUTUBE]rd1MKMMJlOo[/YOUTUBE]

7. lesbochick87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you everyone for your advice it's greatly appreciated

8. Kj802

Yea, I didn't read through all of wuggums47's post but I know that most of the verses in the bible against homosexuals are either mistranslated through different translations and are wrong or they aren't in context with out current era and life.
    Once. Again I am not sure whether wuggums said this or not but I know that Jesus never said anything against homosexuals, plus he was always hanging out with liners and cheaters and tax collectors, I think homosexuals are fine. :slight_smile:

9. lesbochick87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks Kj802