1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on coming out as genderqueer?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Batman, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lately my parents have been very nitpicky about the choices I make. If I hear another person ask "did you get that in the guys or gals department?" in a disapproving voice I might snap. And in this moment, I'm feeling like i should just get this shit done with and come out.

And- its not that I think my parents would necessarily react poorly to me coming out. But they sure as hell don't know anything about gender and might respond with confusion-ridden revolt. I don't know. And seeing as my gender doesn't really fall under the only two they know, it would take a lot of patience and explaining to get them to understand

tl;dr How would/did you come out as, and explain being genderqueer in the least painful way possible?

2. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Well, I would give some background first. I would explain what binary gender is, and why the concept is an entirely western one. I could cite things like the Albanian Sworn Virgins and the Indian hijra as examples of alternate gender expressions being tolerated in other cultures. Then I would say that I too am one of those other genders, and that is called being genderqueer or non-binary in english speaking countries. I would explain I have no real choice in the matter, and that there is nothing they can do to change me.

To be fair, the only person I've actually explained that too is my mom. So far nobody else asked, and I figure I'll tell them when I start hormones.