1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out at Frosh - Starting University

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Easton, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Easton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I am just about to begin my first year at university and I've been thinking about coming out from the get-go during frosh. I like the idea of people meeting me and really knowing who I am. Also, I kind of want to meet some other gay people at frosh, I'm tired of dancing with girls and pretending I'm interested.

My biggest issue is that I am going to school in my hometown and staying at home (where I am not and don't intend to be out for sometime) and am going to still be around some of my old friends from high school. I'm worried that them finding out that I'm gay will get back to my old high school and my brother will find out and then... (maybe I'm overthinking this because it sounds kind of dumb as I type it but Im still worried it could happen.

Anyways, do any of you have experience with this? Would it be better to be out from the beginning or is it better to make friends and come out to them later? Am I over thinking this?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have any advice, but I'm in exactly the same boat. This has been on my mind for a while now.

Im thinking it's easier to come out first. That way you won't lose a friend, just a random person who had the potential to be friends.

I'm looking forward to hear what advice people will have :slight_smile:

#2 HM03, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  3. whosamelia

Good luck! I might be going to uni the year after next (year and a half's time), hope I'm in a position by then where I can be out from the start :slight_smile:

I'd be going to uni 2 hours from where I live, so not much problem with people back at home finding out things... if they don't know by then anyway. (Been homeschooled all my life so there aren't that many people tbh.)

4. Kj802

The only advice I can think of is either
    Come out from the beginning, risk letting your brother know (whether that's a bad thing or not I am not sure.) and make some cool new friends.
    Keep it secret and only tell people at uni after you've become friends with them, and tell them to keep it a secret.
    Or you could come out to your family before you start and then be open about it from there.
    Or you could keep it a secret all together. It depends how you feel about it and who you trust.
    Good luck :slight_smile: