1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming-out to school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ThePrideInside4, Aug 31, 2014.

1. ThePrideInside4

So I hear a lot of people talk about their coming-out stories and say "I came out to my school". I didn't really know you were supposed to. I would like to, just to show the bullies how proud I am to be me. But what if my teacher were to tell my mom at parent-teacher conferences, not knowing that I didn't come out to them yet? Or what if an angry parent calls mine because of something their kid said about me? Everyone at my school is homophobic and Christian. When a rumour went around that I was bisexual in 6th grade, everyone picked on me, and tried to force their religion upon me. So I just denied it. Now that I'm in 8th grade, maybe people will be more accepting? I also have this friend who can't stand gay people and I don't want him to hate me. The only non-homophobic teacher at my school is my vice-principal. I already came out to him. But he told the guidance counselor, and she threatened to tell my mom because she's a homophobic bitch.

:help: How do I "come out to my school"?

2. Ryujin

My advice is, if it's such a homophobic place, don't. If nobody is going to accept you for it and they'll bully you, you are better off staying in the closet to them. The counselor shouldn't be able to tell your parents about it, at least in the US (I don't know where you are) and most other places, you have a right to confidentiality unless keeping it could harm your health and this most certainly could harm your health if you told people depending on how homophobic they are.

3. You need to come out when its a safe environment for you. You can still absolutely be proud of who you are but i wouldn't come out yet if its going to put you in danger. And you'll know when the right time is.

4. RisingSun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There isn't any rule that says you're supposed to come out to your school, you should decide for yourself when you are ready and who you want to come out to. That said, I think you should stay in the closet since your school is quite homophobic and coming out will only cause you trouble.