1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderfluid - how to tell my mum?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TWDfangirl, Aug 31, 2014.

1. TWDfangirl

Out Status:
    A few people
    (Apologies for the crappy title (> .<))
    (And that i posted this in the wrong place originally ahh)

So, i've recently figured out that i'm genderfluid. I have short hair anyway (which will hopefully get cut shorter), have been contemplating a non-gendered name (Alex seems to be the most likely so far), and i'm desperately hoping to get a binder for guy days (which are more frequent than girl days - not that i'm very girly on girl days anyway but you know) - The only thing is that before i get a binder and so on, i want to let the people i care about know about the situation.
    I'm pretty sure that my friends will take it in their stride - (they were cool with it when i let them know that i liked girls, so hopefully this shouldn't be too much different). The main problem is telling my family - well, mainly just my mum since she's the only one i actually live with; i'd rather keep it quiet from the rest of my family but we'll see how it goes.
    Don't get me wrong, i love my family and they're really good people - but there have been a number of issues with them regarding my gender and sexuality in the past, plus i get really anxious in any situation wherein i have to talk about myself in any detail, so it's kind of terrifying to think of having to explain this to them. (The problems in the past being that when my mum found out about my liking girls, it was never spoken of again except for once when it was kind of blatantly dismissed; as well as my grandparents frequently reminding me that i'm a girl, not a guy and i should be girly and wear dresses (like i said, i have girl days sometimes, but even then i'm not "girly"); and my family descending into awkward silence whenever people think i'm a guy and call me "sir" - a thing that would normally make me feel strong but then just kind of makes me curl into a bundle of ohdeargodhowdoievenfunction.)
    Anyway, i'm rambling - the main point is that with my friends, i can hopefully just bring it up in conversation and explain it and it'll be fine; but if anyone has any advice for how i can break it to my mum i would be eternally grateful, i really don't want her to flip out or disregard this. I was considering recording a message for her about it and having some resources on standby - but god i just really have no idea how to do this or what to say or how to say it.
    If anyone has any advice, or if anyone would even be willing to let me know how you told your nearest and dearest if you were ever in this situation, that would be amazing.
    Thankyou and have a great day regardless (*hug*)

2. wolf of fire

You could tell her (if you are an only child or have a sibling who is the same gender she sees you as) that she gets both a son and daughter from you.