1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you make your friend come out for you?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Litveninko, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Litveninko

I came out to my friend recently, and she is supportive, the thing I was wondering, Can I make her tell my parents about me? Or is it a bad idea?
    I have tried many ways to come out, but it doesn't help. Has anyone tried this?

2. LD579

Honestly, I would suggest against it as it puts your friend in an awkward position and isn't fair to her. You can come out in almost any way you like (Email, letter, in-person, and so on), but I don't know if involving others is ever a good idea in such a potentially delicate situation. I'm sure you will find a way if you want to come out to them, eventually. Remember that it's not a race and it's about when you're ready to do so.

3. Litveninko

[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I would suggest against it as it puts your friend in an awkward position and isn't fair to her. You can come out in almost any way you like (Email, letter, in-person, and so on), but I don't know if involving others is ever a good idea in such a potentially delicate situation. I'm sure you will find a way if you want to come out to them, eventually. Remember that it's not a race and it's about when you're ready to do so.[/QUOTE]

I know, just when I told her she asked if my parents knows. Then she said if you want me to help you, I can. She suggested it, but I didn't know what to say then.

4. TheStormInside

My friend helped me to come out to another friend by talking it through with me beforehand. I got to express some things aloud that were really difficult to say the first time, but once you say them they flow a little easier the next time (and I assume the next). You could also try practicing with your friend. I find it pretty awkward but it might be helpful for some people. Basically, she takes the role of your parents and you do practice runs of coming out to them. If all that still is too hard, like Luthan said, you can write them something instead.

I don't think you should have your friend come out to your parents for you. It would be awkward for everyone involved. I think you may feel some regret later for not being able to have that interaction with them yourself, too.